going on vacation

michellej

I am going on vacation for two weeks, my lfs told me to have the person taking care of my tank to feed once everyother day......Will my fish starve? They said if this person feeds them everyday there is a chance of overfeeding. Any advice anyone?

laddy

They're probably correct (not knowing what the setup of your tank). I have yet to ever encounter a situation where I overheard, or was told, that a tank wasn't being fed enough!

lion_crazz

I would definitely not have them feed the fish everyday. You run the risk of too much even every other day, but it's much better than everyday (unless the person feeding the fish knows what they are doing).
More importantly, what are you doing about the evaporation of your water?

scubadoo

Whenever I have someone take care of my set-ups I prepackage the daily food in individual small containers. I have never had a problem as I measured the feedings and simply told them to feed one package/container per day.

G

gixster

I just recently went on vacation and one of my buddies use to work at a LFS. I had him take care of my tanks..Boy was that a bad idea. Came back to all of my tanks with hardly any water in them..The powerheads barley had enough water covering the bottom of the intake. The water was cloudy..Come to find out he also left for vacation and just dummped a bunch of food in the tanks...Never again am I gonna ask him..lol :mad:

E

exile415

How about one of those automatic feeders. My friend has one , But barely uses it.

guineawhop

automatic feeders would be ok, but i don't know how long the food lasts in those. if you have someone take care of them, every other day would be fine. you'd be surprised how long fish can go without food.

E

exile415

esp fw arowanas. they can live for like 4 weeks without food.