Going to the atlanta aquarium... anyone been?

team2jndd

Well im going back to Georgia soon and I'm going to spend a few nights in atlanta before going back to Savannah and of course I'm looking into the aquarium. Has anyone done the movie that they have there? Im just wondering if its worth it or not? I understand that there is a zoo nearby as well. Is the zoo of the same caliber as the aquarium or should I just toss in a round of golf instead? I can't wait to go I've been waiting to ever since I heard they were building it. I can't believe how cheap the tickets are.

velvetchs

My husband, 5yr old daughter, and I went to the aquarium and the zoo back in October. I wasn't all that impressed with it. The Baltimore aquarium was much better I thought. We had a blast at the zoo and spent almost the entire day there. There are several people on the boards, if I remember correctly, that had gone to the Atlanta aquarium and it got mixed reviews. Try searching for it. I think someone had posted some pics.

triga22

I went last year and it was awsome!! Im getting a season pass soon. The only problem is the crowd. They ruin the fun because so many people are there. Try and go when no-one is there. The first time I rushed when I go again ill take my time. Also dont eat there it takes forever. Good food though.

team2jndd

Thanks. I deffinately wont rush I dont mind holding the other people up if I have to Im flying 1200 miles to see it. Velvetchs, you said the zoo was really nice, was it a large zoo or just the basic lions and tigers and bears oh my type of zoo.

kmc

Team2, My opinion is that the aquarium is much nicer than the zoo. We went to the aquarium on a sunday morning when it opened and it wasn't too bad. The reef section is what inspired us to get a salt water aquarium. Last time I went to the zoo it was pretty lame. There may be better aquariums out there but there are definitely better zoos. Don't waste your time. Go out to Stone Mountain Park and play golf.

team2jndd

Originally Posted by kmc
Team2, My opinion is that the aquarium is much nicer than the zoo. We went to the aquarium on a sunday morning when it opened and it wasn't too bad. The reef section is what inspired us to get a salt water aquarium. Last time I went to the zoo it was pretty lame. There may be better aquariums out there but there are definitely better zoos. Don't waste your time. Go out to Stone Mountain Park and play golf.
Will do. It's pretty much a golfing trip anyway. Im going to visit my brother who lives in rincon (small town outside savannah.) I figured he might want a break from the whoopin hes going to get on the course and thought the aquarium would be the best way.

velvetchs

They had a lot of different animals there. Let me think... elephants, kangaroos, a reptile house, black rhino... They divided the zoo into different areas around the world. The only bad thing when we went was they had several baby animals, so some of the animals were housed elsewhere (pandas, giraffes). They have a website. Not really sure if I can post the link, but if you search Atlanta zoo on the aza dot org website, you'll find.
All I can really say is do whatever you think you will have the most fun doing and enjoy your trip.

The ATL Aquarium got me hooked on this stuff! I nearly had a pet store in my room already, I went when it first opened, I was amazed, its totally worth the time. Anyway, as I go up to the horseshoe crab tank, I asked the guy how hard it would be to keep one, he gave me this only for experts bull and pretty much dismissed me, so I get home and do some googling and surenuff you can get dwarf horsehoe from this very site! So the moral is, my wanting to spite this ass changed my life completely, I wake up thinking about my reefs. Since were all reefers here, the initial shock of the beauty wont be there, but you might find something you just gotta have there. GO DUDE!!!

bgrae001

I have to say I have mixed feelings on the Aquarium. I went last year with 3 of my children. It was really crowded and very difficult to maneuver a stroller. The reef section was awesome but the clown tank was filled with aptasia. I really enjoyed the beluga whales, there is a dining room near by where you can watch the whales while you eat. The petting tanks suck because the smaller people cant reach the animals in the tanks. So you can see I have mixed feelings. Oh btw you can take a behind the scenes tour and see the equipment they use to maintain the aquarium.
Have fun and take your time.

team2jndd

Thanks guys for all the replies. We've decided to wait until my other brother comes back from Iraq to go because he really wanted to go as well and its a 4 hour drive each way so its something we probably wont want to do more than once. However, it seems alot of people are in or around the GA area. Any golf courses you recomend? My brother is new to the game and im from NY so when I go down there its hard to find a good course because neither of us know where to go.

As far as I know, the Small Horsehoes are infact a different type than the big ones, maybee they are babies and will adjust like goldfish to the size of the tank, if so someone let us know cause I might setup a saltwater kiddie pool!!!
Here are some pics of mine.

toggil

I thought the aquarium was great. The whale shark exhibit was awesome, it seriously seems like you're looking out into the ocean.

team2jndd

"When most people think of Horseshoe Crabs they think of these huge crabs they they've seen on TV or in the Zoo. On the contrary, the Horseshoe Crabs Saltwaterfish.com offers are only an inch or two in size"
If they are just juvies they should change their description it is very misleading. It makes it seem like the dont reach the same size as the huge crabs we see on tv or in the zoo.

wangotango

take the behind the scenes tour and take lots of pictures. im going over spring break. i thought the national aquarium at baltimore was cool, cant wait for this...
-Justin

I really hope theyre not juvies, in that case Ive been abusing mine with a tiny tank! Anyone whos had or has any, let me know if yours got bigger mine is still 2inces across like when I got him. Do they adjust to tank size? Were suppoded to be talking about ATL aquarium, Im sorry I opened a can of worms but this is what this message board is all about!