Gold headed sleeper gobie HELP!!!

A

alien art

PLEASE HELP! i have a 420ltr tank very stable great water levels ect. All the fish in my tank eat well.
I have introduced a gold headed gobie to my tank he is about 6inches long.
He is loosing wait very fast, infact i think unless somone can help he will die in the next week.
He sifts my gravel but will not come out for food. My gravel was full of b rown algie, he has eaten it all but there is not enuff food in the gravel now to sustain him. Please help!

N

nereef

this is a common problem with sleeper(sandsifting) gobies. many, if not most, don't eat prepared food. many starve from being in a tank with not enough pods.
how many pounds of rock? how long has the tank been up? do you have a fuge?

A

alien art

I have tryed pelet food, brine shrimp, garlic, flake food & just cut up a small amount of fresh prawn and put in the gravel. no luck yet. i have 40 kg of live rock, my tank is 6mnths old heaps off very healthy coral, i large annenome 4 clowns, 1 black trigger (small and very mellow) 4 hermit crabs.
What is a fuge? how can it help?

dogstar

NEreef is correct about how difficult these types of Gobies are to keep healthy long term...
You used the term, gravel ??....best to use an aragonite based type of finer grain marine sand for them, They need to be able to scoop and sift the sand thru their mouth and gills very easily. They do primarily feed on small organisums that live in the sand beds.

miaheatlvr

Originally Posted by KidWicked
force feed that sucker
Mine just passed away after about 3 months,, He got very very thin after the 2 month,, tried everything but quarantining him,, a very very sad day for me! He was my favorite fish with the most personality,, He was disolved by my clean-up crew in the rocks within 24hrs, see link.. I dont think these fish should be held in captivity and belong on the list by LIONCRAZE of fish that should be avoided along with the cleaner wrasses, moorish idols and mandarin gobies.. see link! https://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/show...n+head+sleeper