GOLDEN HEAD EEL?

rhyno36

I purchased what the lfs called a golden head eel. I bought it for my 180 gallon tank that has a horned shark and a 3 inch domino damsel.
As soon as I put the eel it went and to hide in LR and seemed content. I started to feed the shark and the eel went nuts, attacking the shark. I decided to net the eel and feed it, which I did with brine shrimp. After it had its fill and I let it go it went into hiding. Everytime it pops it head out the damsel stares it down. The eel is about 10 inches long.
The question is; well I have trouble with this eel everytime I feed the shark? Should I feed both at the same time to ease the tension? Did I make a big mistake by adding this eel?

moraymike

A 180 gallon tank is fine for a small horn shark... regardless of what others say... Is it a good choice for the life of the shark? No. With respect to the eel, Gymnothorax rueppelliae, not a great choice as a tankmate... They are pretty aggresive. It'll likely continue to be a problem for the shark (at least until the sharks gets a bit larger), and it will definitely eat the damsel.

cartman101

Originally Posted by MorayMike
A 180 gallon tank is fine for a small horn shark... regardless of what others say... Is it a good choice for the life of the shark? No. With respect to the eel, Gymnothorax rueppelliae, not a great choice as a tankmate... They are pretty aggresive. It'll likely continue to be a problem for the shark (at least until the sharks gets a bit larger), and it will definitely eat the damsel.
Horn shark is fine for a 180gal? here as a banded cat shark isn't? :help: