Golden Headed Sleeper Goby

tugglife2

I am interested in getting one of these, but I have a question. Our sand bed consists of a sand and crushed coral mix so the grains aren't as fine as granular sand. Would the sleeper goby have trouble sifting this through it's gills?

V

veeraj87

i was told that CC would hurt, but no one gave a def. answer as to whether or not it is allowed, i think it interferes with their abilty to burrow, also if u just has CC, but not to sure becuz i was reading a description and i saw that it said the sand sifts through their gills imagine CC through that ... but i want to hear from others as well as i am in the process that u are in...

groupergenius

I think the crushed coral would be tough for it.
I don't know if my shifters are typical, but I prefer my Diamond Goby over my Golden Head. The Golden head likes to pick up sand then swim up. Releasing sand over everything. The Diamond grabs and sifts at the bottom.

pthoma79

I have a LS combo that sounds like yours. I have been sifting some of it out with a net, letting the finer particles sift out. I got a diamond goby a few days ago, and he seems so be fine, and he already made a home under one of my rocks. I don't know about a golden head, but my diamond just spits the big stuff out when he gets something too big in his mouth.

mx#28

The larger golden headed sleeper gobies can handle and may even prefer larger grain sand, but they definetely get too large for 12 gallons. A larger one would likely need at least 55 gallons and much larger if it is relying on the sand for nourishment.

I just finished overhauling the tank and removed a large portion of the nasty sand and replaced it with the finer sand. Our sleeper goby is just waiting for the tank to settle so we can bring him home!!

jmick

They are cool fish but I wouldn't put one in my tank for fact that it could deplete your sandbed of all it's benefical critters over time.

jaymz

I love my golden head sleeper. He just hangs out and sifts all day, its fun to watch.. We use cc in alot of our tanks at work.. They make burrows by picking and moving individaul pieces. Bigger gobys can get small peices of cc thru thiers gills. I noticed that my goby eats a lot less mysis then the ones at work. Probably because of the lack being able to sift for micro organisms