Goldflake Angel

tangcrazy

I absolutely love the Goldflake Angel, and was wondering if anyone has ever kept one successfully? I have read in "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by R. Fenner, that Goldflakes are impossible to keep and should not be attempted. I have read online that on a scale of 1 to 5, they are a 3 as far as care goes. The Asfur Angel was rated a 4, and I have one thats thriving. So, anyone ever had one??? :rolleyes:

jreef

I've had one for the past 3 months and he's doing great. Doesn't bother any of the corals, gets along with everyone except Killer, the purple tang (who no-one gets along with, and eats everything. IMO a great and hardy fish. Wasn't even shy like the blu-face I have.

tangcrazy

What size goldflake did you get, how much did you pay for him? The cheapest I have found is $250. Thank you so much for replying, its so nice to hear that someone has one of these beautiful animals thriving in an aquarium!! Looking forward to your response. :D

garyfla

Hi
Obviously, the data on hardiness would have to be from "average" experience if there
is such a thing.Some of this wouls have to be from collecting,holding and shipping as well as how the fish is ultimately housed
I personally ,have a friend who is keeping a
Regal angelfish,Pinnatus batfish and Moorish
idol.The only thing I've read about these is
that they are very difficult if not impossible to keep.He has kept all of these less than one year so certainly not a complete success yet but they certainly look good at the moment.
Gary

tangcrazy

I had heard that regal angels had the worst survival rate of any angel available in the trade, so to keep one at all is a real accomplishment! I still have a lot more research and thinking to do about this goldflake, as they do run about $200-$300!!
Anyway thank you for your reply, and I'll keep you all posted! :)

sharkbyte1023

I have had mine since it has been in the juvenile stage and now it is 4"-5" and close to two years old. This one is my second..the first one a few years back only lived for about 6 months....so it is not so much the fish as it is how they were taken in the wild and the care given up to the point of you getting it. Mine eats everything i put in the tank. In my opinion i would have absolutely no fear of getting one. Best of luck if you decide to get one!

tangcrazy

Hey Sharbyte, I would sooooo love to get a goldflake right now, but at the tune of $300.00, what if I got one that resembled your first experience, and it only lasted six months! OOPS! I don't have an LFS that is truly reliable, by that I mean, sometimes some of their livestock just does not look that healthy, I'm guessing it is their supplier. Got any advice there? I would really appreciate it. Also, I have a 100G, with 50lbs of live rock, and live sand, I have a semi-aggressive yellow tang, a lunare wrasse and just added a small Asfur angel, do you think a goldflake could still go in? I'm not sure about mixing angels?? :)