goniapora???

djessem

I have just purchased my first hard coral and am wondering if you more experienced reef-keepers can give me some advice. I now have a green goniapora and it seems to be flourishing after one week. I am keeping the following levels:
dkh @ 10.5
Ca @ 430
PH @ 8.4
Temp @ 80
Trites and Ammonia @ 0
Trates currently @ 2.5 or less
Adding Kents essential elements weekly
Using Kents Liquid Reactor for Ca additives with an occasional switch to Tech A and B about once monthly instead of that dose of Reactor.
Tech I for iodine supplementing ( although i havent purchased an iodine tester as yet ( just weekly per instructions)
Skimming and wetdry filtering along with HOB type canister/sand filter.
Is there anything in the "fine print" of eef keeping for this particular coral that one usually finds out about once there is a coral death. I do not want anything to happen to this so please advise of the "pearls of Goniapora keeping

bdhough

Goniopora have a good life for a couple months then about 6-12 months they shrivel and die. I personally am of the mind that they aren't getting something in the tanks that they get in the reef. Im also of the mind that it could be their diet. I've read that pods are a part of it as well as phytoplankton and zooplankton. So start there, try using DT's phytoplankton in your tank. Your other corals will use it too and maybe some zoo every now and again. Long term success seems to be sporadic. I know others have ideas on this because thats where i read my info :)

bdhough

One other thing do half doses on the iodine as the instructions say. Its very easy to overdose especially if its not being used. I've heard the only coral that REALLY needs it is Xenia and even then its not necessary as xenia is a weed as it is.

spsfreak100

Originally posted by bdhough
I've heard the only coral that REALLY needs it is Xenia and even then its not necessary as xenia is a weed as it is.

There's no proof that states that xenia pulses or needs an iodine suppliment. Actually, iodine really never needs to be dosed; you get more than enough iodine through your saltmix. Dr. Ron stated in one of his posts that iodine in our aquariums was almost 6x more what it would be in the wild. He also stated that people who regulary dosed iodine often have 9x or more iodine than in the ocean. I personally don't think it's good to dose iodine, esspecially when you're never testing for it. Iodine is one of the most over used trace elements and many people have poisioned their tanks (including me) becuase of adding too much iodine to their aquarium. Essential elements alone carried much more iodine than you'll ever need. I think you should stop dosing both Iodine and essential elements. Essential elements carried 6% iodine. With that, you could stop dosing the other iodine suppliments. Since you're also dosing Tech A & B, you already have all the calcium you would need (Essential elements also contains calcium). I think you would be perfect simply using the calcium suppliment. If you wanted, you could also buy a pH buffer or Alkalinity buffer in case you needed them, but your levels seem fine as they are. Your pH may be slightly high, but it's nothing that cannot be fixed :)
Anyway,
bdhough was correct that most Goniopora's do not make it very long. I would personally return the goniopora for an easier to keep coral. The goniopora could be one of the most difficult Large polyped scleractinians (LPS) to buy. They prefer nutrient rich waters which cannot be easily duplicated in our aquariums. They also require outstanding water parimeters and high amounts of lighting.
Good luck!
Take Care,
Graham :)

sammystingray

Gonioporas aren't "tough" to keep, they are basically impossible at this time....they die 100% of the time. The key to their tank survival is yet to be known. Thousands and thousands have been lost due to reef keepers "giving them a try" but they die 100% of the time. 18 months is a good time for them to starve if they actually make it that long. Please consider not endorsing their import after this one does die. ...AKA, please don't buy another...there is no help to be found to keep gonis alive. Theories and guesses? yes, but they always die 100% of the time. I don't believe that a closed system such as a tank can handle the amount of food that needs to be in the water to keep these guys from starving....they need VERY nutrient rich water, and a slow flow that alternates so it doesn't bend them the same way all the time. Take care to not let debris get stuck between the polyps.

bdhough

Thanks SPS i was told that by somebody else about the Iodine. I kind of figured. I won't buy another bottle of TECH I for sure.
Thats a shame about the goni's.... The new lfs here has i think 4 or 5 for sale right now. They are super pretty but as sammy said impossible to keep right now. I wonder at how common and easy they are to get though..... I always see one or two for sale somewhere.

spsfreak100

Originally posted by bdhough
The new lfs here has i think 4 or 5 for sale right now.

That doesn't compare to my LFS, who at least has more than 20 for sale. They even come in "dyed" colors. Ever seen a dark blue goniopora? :(
Graham

sammystingray

Supply and demand......they are in demand by new folks who don't realize they always die, so the store supplies them. NOT buying another will lower the demand, and hopefully we can get some folks to quit buying them.

bdhough

Wow. My guess it they are so easy to get since they are free form and usually not attatched to rockwork? Is that right?
Makes no sense to sell something that dies. I have to wonder why they get them in. I know half of them die in their tanks. They must be getting a great "deal" on them if they continue....
EDIT: i will cede that point too they are super pretty and the beginner usually goes after them first along with everything else they shouldn't :)

sammystingray

Their beauty puts them in great demand from folks who either don't know, or don't care, that they die no matter what you do.

harlequinnut

I too bought one at the begining and it lasted a few good month until it started to die. I'm glad I read this thread cause I'm not buying another one again!:(