Goniopora

smoothie

I was checking out a site specifically dedicated to the different species of goniopora and found some crazy stuff. Pictures of amphipods creaping out from under the coral and tearing off small pieces of the tissue and causing it to appear receided.
Seen it in other tanks after they have been in for a few months didn't know what they were doing wrong. Same thing happened to me after my mandarin passed. Goni started to go downhill 2 months later. Had it for a year, spot fed it and it always stayed happy. Next thing you know, splat! It's almost gone.
Pretty cool stuff I thought I would share with ya.

teen

imo, there not that hard to keep alive, people just neglect them. there kinda tedious, like sun corals.

cgj

I havent spot fed my sun coral in roughly 5 days... is it recommended to feed those twice weekly?

reefkprz

IMO for goniopora they should be spot fed at least every other day. if not everyday. this is part of what makes them hard to keep. the constant attention required. most people do well at maintaining them for a short period then unintentionally neglect them, the decline in health may not be visible at first, then reccesion starts, usually once reccesion starts its pretty much too late to save the coral. with few exceptions.
the red goniopora is one of the few reputed to handle aquarium life better than most other goni's

peef

Yeah you should spot feed the sun coral every other day for sure. I feed mine that way and sometimes will even do a week of every day!