good choice for first fish?

gohabsgo

hi guys, i have a 50 gal reef with semi agressive fish,and i have a 77 gal that is just finish cycling ( going reef) , this time i am going to go with only peaceful fish so no demsel. Last week i saw a video here,of someone that had a engeneer gogy and i fell in love LOL.I would like to know if it would be a good first fish? Because some fish need the sand to be older(more nutrient) tanks!!

aquaguy24

a pair of false clowns are better for first fish then true percs espeicially in a 50..true perc might and can get aggressive towards new smaller tank mates..i had a pair of true perc in a 24g aquapod..killed any other fish i tried adding..which were yellow watchman and a sixline wrasse..

gohabsgo

i have a maroon in the 50 gal,but this time it is for the new 77 gal and i want to keep the agression level to a minimum,so i am not sure it is a good idea to put the pair of clown first ,since they going to think they are the boss.Has for true perc or false perc,here they dont seem to have false perc often,because i never saw one around here!
But now you made me alitle paranoid about the clown(agression)so i dont know maybe i'll pass%!

wouldn't a dwarf angel be ok? i've heard that they can go either way, as far as reefs go, but they are usually unaggressive and really pretty. a flame angel, i'm thinking?

aquaguy24

flame angels will not make a good first fish...they need a mature tank with lots of algea growth...flame angels are a hit or miss type of deal.....u might have a better change with coral beauty angel but same thing...its hard to get them to eat...

mkzimms

i agree with aquaguy, angles need a mature tank to thrive in. especially during the first few weeks when you may not be able to get them to eat prepared food, they will eat off your rocks until they are ready.
how about a six-line wrasse or some type of goby.

gohabsgo

I have a lemonpeel in the 50 gal reef and he ate a brain,and i would say he is semi agressive, he chasse is tank mate all the time!!
The only thing i know is i want a foxface for that tank 77 gal( that is going to be the bigger fish in the tank).The cycle is done but i am not in a hurry to put fish in it!! Maybe i could go with 1 bangaii , or maybe 2 if i would know it is a mated pair!!

gmann1139

Originally Posted by gohabsgo
http:///forum/post/2663215
Has for true perc or false perc,here they dont seem to have false perc often,because i never saw one around here!
You have, they were probably just labeled as percs.
Ocels tend to have thinner black stripes on their body. That's the 'easiest' way to tell them apart, but not necessarily the most accurate.
I see what I believe are ocellaris labeled as perculas every once in a while. Usually its b/c the LFS doesn't know or doesn't care.