GOOD news for a change

florida joe

KEY LARGO — Students working with marine scientists in the Florida Keys have documented the first known case in the region where farm-raised staghorn coral have reproduced to serve as a foundation for future reefs.
Twenty-one middle and high school students from the Tampa Bay area authenticated and collected some of the cells sent from the farmed coral late Saturday night.
Originally, one-inch end clippings of live staghorn were harvested and planted in a special nursery off the Upper Keys in 2006 by the Coral Restoration Foundation. In 2007, they were transplanted at Molasses Reef, where they have grown to about two feet in diameter

salt210

that is good news. why dont we hear about this stuff in the news rather nothing but murders and robberies?

jackri

Originally Posted by lovinmynemo
http:///forum/post/3113075
Maybe next they can teach them to count change back, cause lord knows without a computer they are lost.

Not sure what that has to do about students in Florida

......... anyways.. 2 feet in diamter???

Too bad there weren't any pics to go with it

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Yea, that is good news. Unfortunately a lot of the Keys reef has already been decimated due to human pollution and the influx of more and more humans in to area is not likely to improve the situation.

mantisman51

True Beth. Unfortunately it is considered unAmerican to say, "No more houses here." Folks are great with nature preserves way off somewhere else, but to be told they can't put their 3rd beachhouse on the Keys, why that's not acceptable.

scrombus2

As a native Floridian, I have been going to the Keys for 40 years. I have seen firsthand the damage done by the exploding human population there. as a kid, our family would spend a week or so at a family friend's place on Cudjoe Key, the gateway to the Looe Key preserve.
I would love for my kids to enjoy the same Keys I enjoyed as a kid, but unfortunately, that place is no longer the same. 6 to 10 hours to get the 200 miles from Ft. Pierce to Cudjoe is unbearable, the traffic in the Keys is horrendous in season, the reefs are a mere shadow of what they were even 15 years ago, the cost of fuel for the boat, the cost of food, etc. has ruined the experience for us.Lobster mini season? Forgetaboutit!