Good setup???

whaa...?

ok here is my setup
180 gallon tank
LS and LR
Magnum 350 (canister i think) filter
cant find a heater big enough recomondations anyone?
three 70 gallon powerheads
Random skimmer
and about filling it
do i add R/O water and then salt it....or
do i fill with tap water and then cure then add salt?
cause with R/O it would take forever

ross

add the salt and water same time into the main tank and mix it there with the powerheads and mag 350

mbrands

What Ross said, but use RO water, not tap.
I'd suggest more powerheads in a tank that size. As a minimum, you want 10x your tank volume (750) gallons per hour for fish only and 20x for reef. More smaller powerheads is better than 2 at hurricane force.
I'd suggest 2 or 3 heaters evenly spaced through the tank instead of 1. That will help keep a more consistant temperature.
Finally, look into AquaC skimmers instead.

maeistero

yes what mbran said on the heating, i had a terrible time keeping my tanks consistent this last winter. as for powerheads i think you can get away with less than recommended if you have sweeper type that move a current. oh yeah and if your prizm is still new in box, return it or ---- it and get a better skimmer. mine absolutely sucks. (pardon the french if that offends.) i would never ever buy anything from that company again. looks like it works, cheaper than a real skimmer but you get what you pay for. i'd ditch it before you start. imo

edit: i just noticed your in ks:jumping: where at? anywhere near lawrence?

snipe

If you only go with 1 heater place it infront or near a powerhead it will make sure the heat is spread around the tank evenly. That is what I did "1 300 watt heater" and my tank is same temp just about anywhere in the tank I moved my thermo just to make sure. I would say around 300 to 400 watts would be enough you may want to get 2 200's and place 1 on each end of the tank.
(Edit) you got my 1600th post!
:jumping: :cheer:
:happy: :happyfish

whaa...?

i dont have any of that stuff yet im just makin sure its all good before i buy it
oh and nowhere,kansas is the city on courage the couardly dog lol im in michigan
edit: who likes my avatar?
edit2: for lighting is there anything special at my LFS he said i could keep soft and medium corals with lightbulbs u buy at pet store
(supposedly it says good for reef) are these any good wat i mean is the marine-glo/power-glo those work at all?

mbrands

Originally posted by whaa...?
he said i could keep soft and medium corals

Never heard of a "medium" coral before, only soft and hard. You'd need to be more specific of the lighting you are talking about. Some LFS only sell NO (normal output), while others sell everything up to MH (metal hallide).

whaa...?

wat i meant was like the brand with the -glo at the end
like marine-glo or power-glo those are florueasant bulbs for reef
didnt no if them bulbs worked

mbrands

Try to find out the output. It sounds like they are standard florescent lights and will NOT support a reef system. They will work fine if you want to start out with just fish though.

whaa...?

they dont look standard they are like alot of watts each ill check to see how many watts a bulb to let u know if tey are standard or not

whaa...?

here it is hope it works
Marine~Glo Fluorescent Aquarium Lamps
Visible actinic blue spectrum, promotes marine reef life.
Sizes:
30 cm (12"); 8 W; 5000 hours
38 cm (15"); 14 W; 5000 hours
45 cm (18"); 15 W; 5000 hours
60 cm (24"); 20 W; 7500 hours
75 cm (30"); 25 W; 7500 hours
90 cm (36"); 30 W; 7500 hours
107 cm (42"); 36 W; 10000 hours
120 cm (48"); 40 W; 10000 hours

mbrands

Originally posted by whaa...?
they are like alot of watts each

None of those are "a lot of watts". I've got power compacts on my 55 and have 260 watts total. Metal hallides for a 55 can be as high as 500 watts or more. The lights you are referring to can only suppord fish, live rock and inverts (not anemones).
Sorry for the bad news.

whaa...?

man not even soft corals?
oh and by the way anemones when i found out they die and give off toxins that can wipe out ur tank i didnt really want one anymore....lol
also can u define soft coral for me one thing i havent found out....

whaa...?

also on that note will a lobster or something kill a mantis shrimp or something of that nature
or pistol shrimp with goby will that work?

snipe

For soft corals you would need T-5 "high output", PC "Power Compact" or VHO "Very High Output". Normal Output lights will only work for polyps, zoos, and some mushrooms.
I would go with the goby and pistol shrimp.
You dont want mantis shrimp there mean and kill fish and inverts.
And lobsters will reak havoc of there own also.

whaa...?

lol i just got "saltwater aquariums for dummies"(me) and the "saltwater handbook"
apperantly anything that changes will suck alot :)
but the pistol shrimp-tiger he could take out a mantis right(if provoked)the stats for the shrimp

whaa...?

ok im finally set up with my ol' tank im gonna get 75 real soon
(never thought it would support life took so dang long:))

snipe

I really dont think a pistol would bother a mantis the mantis might kill the pistol though.

whaa...?

i no how to catch mantis but wat animal could take one down like a lobster wat????
also where could i get some good lighting for 75 gallon