Good way to cure base rock

rotarygeek

I dont remember who told me this, but I found it here a couple months ago and figured this is good information, might as well share it. If you happen to know who thought of this, or you are the person who thought of this, post up and ill give you credit for it. Till then.... its all mine mwahahahaha ( evil laugh). A really good way to kill anything you might be worried about putting in your tank, or to kill off any algea/ get rid of any phosphates that might be leaching out of your rock is to put yor base/Live rock in the back of your toilet. Its constantly getting new fresh water changes every couple of hours. In a week or two you will have brand new base rock ready to be seeded. Please dont do this to fresh Live Rock you plan on placing into your tank immediatly. This is mainly for a fresh start on old LR or rock that has alot of die off, or you are worried about any hitch hikers coming in on your rock.

socal57che

Bang Guy mentioned that he cured cement based home-built rock in the toilet tank. He was curing the cement, though, not rinsing it of die off. I think I have that thread in my subscriptions...I'll go check.
I did not have it, but a quick search of toilet turned up this one...
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/335325/ways-of-making-fake-live-rock-please-help#post_2772478
Bang Guy's thread was from several years ago, if I recall.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by RotaryGeek
http:///forum/post/2761008
I dont remember who told me this, but I found it here a couple months ago and figured this is good information, might as well share it. If you happen to know who thought of this, or you are the person who thought of this, post up and ill give you credit for it. Till then.... its all mine mwahahahaha ( evil laugh). A really good way to kill anything you might be worried about putting in your tank, or to kill off any algea/ get rid of any phosphates that might be leaching out of your rock is to put yor base/Live rock in the back of your toilet. Its constantly getting new fresh water changes every couple of hours. In a week or two you will have brand new base rock ready to be seeded. Please dont do this to fresh Live Rock you plan on placing into your tank immediatly. This is mainly for a fresh start on old LR or rock that has alot of die off, or you are worried about any hitch hikers coming in on your rock.
Not a good idea by any means. I would like to know where you got this from. Bang sometimes posts some off the wall, yet very true stuff, but he wouldn't claim that toilet water would "kill anything you might be worried about putting in your tank".