Goodwill and Salvation Army needs a few clues with prices

chipmaker

Yesterday I was in town and decided to checkout thelocal thrift stores (Goodwill, Salvation Army, Kings Ranch etc etc)
Wow.....what prices n used tanks. Goodwill: They had an old 10 gal tank (typical wally world special for $29.95 every day price) but this tank had an old incandesant type light, with bulbs so corroded in place yoou would never get it clean, and the bottom was loaded with a combination of marbles, marble chips, and mutiple colored aquarium gravel. BIts and pieces of air line and filters, nothing complete, so it was all trash anyhow and it had a sticker price of $20.00
There was also another tank same as above but no light or hood, or filters just tank with about 1 or 2 inches of aragonite sand in it, along with a mess of cigarette butts, and such, with a stick on thermometer, and a swing arm hydrometer missing the arm....and it had a price tag of $25.00
They had 7 tanks total, all 10 gal, but did have a 55 gal with a broken front panel (looks like a irrate individual put a bat through it as it was really shattered, and they had it wrapped up in that heat shrink wrapping material to seal it all up and keep the pieces in place, they wanted $35.00 for... I asked why so high on those tanks, especially the one marked saltwater, and they said well salt water stuff costs more.........duh! They would not come down one cent on any of the stuff, yet they sell it eventually.
Salvation army had 2 10's and 1 20 bare tanks, for $25 and $35 respectively, all very well worn and scratched.......
Kings Ranch did not have anyhting but an old HArtz mountain air pump for $5.00 without a cord.
Faith Rescue Mission had a heap of old used batting from a pond filter in a rubber maid container with a bumnch of holes in it, with snap lid they had listed as large pond filter, for an astonishing $40, and a hob type penn plax filter for $15 and a hob type heater by Penn Plax for $15.00.....
HOw do these places come up with the prices they sell the stuff for? Do the people that drop off these items tell em its worth such and such for a bigger donation write off and that is the price they sell it for or what?

jacknjill

thats crazy! i can get a brand new 10 gallon tank still in the cardborad for $7 bucks at my lfs!

phixer

I noticed that too. You used to be able to find some good deals at these places. I wonder, if you asked them. If it dosent sell in a month if they would lower the price to a more reasonable level? I thought these places were non profit?

sparkles12

You should start checking garage sales. I got a 75 gallon tank (no leaks) with a stand, two light fixtures (probably florescent but whatever) and two hob filters all for 15 bucks. It was awesome!

ophiura

I don't think just because they are "overpriced" on these items but non profit means that they are making money. They are trying to sell things to get money to assist people and carry out other programs. There is a difference and they need every dime they can get. Who knows how they price things, but I would hope that people understand the ultimate purpose of some of these thrift stores.

chipmaker

Be it they do not make a profit, or at least the ones like GW or Salvation army and Kings ranch etc, but places like Bob and Jeans 2nd Hand are in it for a buisness, and those privately owned thrift type stores have much cheaper prices that are usually selling most of their items on consignment than the places that acquire thier items from free donations, so every dime they make is profit more or less that is spent in operitng costs, and funding projects. But the prices are absurd. I view stores with "Thrift" or Second Hand" Goodwill, SA as regular businesses any more and are in no way for the most part thrifty to buy at, with the charges they charge for used unwarranted wore out or well used items......especially when I can buy the same thing brand new, with warranty and return if need be for half the price.....

E

exile415

that's ridicolous, at my ***** .. it's only $9 and I don't shop to much at *****, I only shop at the $1 table so i can get some cheap stuff for my fw tank

reefraff

Turbotax included a program called it's deductable this year which helps you determine the values of items donated to charities. The following is for fair condition
Aquariums
1~9 gallons 10.00
10~29 16.00
30~59 67.00
60+ 204.00
Heater 9.00
Filter 18.00
pump 10.00
Skimmer 47.00

oceanists

Originally Posted by reefraff
Turbotax included a program called it's deductable this year which helps you determine the values of items donated to charities. The following is for fair condition
Aquariums
1~9 gallons 10.00
10~29 16.00
30~59 67.00
60+ 204.00
Heater 9.00
Filter 18.00
pump 10.00
Skimmer 47.00

that is quite a jump in price from 59 to 60

reefraff

Originally Posted by Oceanists