Google Chrome

jaymz

Has anyone else tried Google Chrome.. its googles new browser. I downloaded it a few hours ago and like it.. its really smooth and fast. no glitches yet.

aquaknight

Interesting, will give it a shot, not liking the latest FF. Loads everything like it was on dial-up, as soon as it gets a bit of data, it tosses it up that very millisecond, unlike IE which just wants a couple tenths of a second and displays a nice clean whole webpage.
Does Chrome have spell checking and how is it?

jaymz

its does have spell checking... its nice when posting on here i dont have to edit my mistake 10 times after posting.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Its pretty new and bugs have already surfaced, but if you don't mind that then I guess it will be cool.

indyws6

As someone who has worked in IT for many years - I just don't care. I used to enjoy trying new software, but it has become such a hassle that it isn't worth the effort. IE does everything I need it to do, and it does it well. It seems like a vast majority of people rush to competing browsers (Firefox, Opera, Chrome, Browser-du-jour...) more because they are not Microsoft products than because they are superior products. Seems like a poor reason to switch, to me...
What bothers me about Chrome is who sponsors it. People complain about Microsoft "controlling" everything - isn't anyone bothered by the fact that Google is doing the same thing? If I have to physically de-select "Install Google Toolbar" or "Set my homepage to Google" or "Install Google Desktop" or "Give Google Power of Attorney" during one more application installation, I think I will hurl...
My two cents...

tangman99

Originally Posted by indyws6
http:///forum/post/2746005
As someone who has worked in IT for many years - I just don't care. I used to enjoy trying new software, but it has become such a hassle that it isn't worth the effort. IE does everything I need it to do, and it does it well. It seems like a vast majority of people rush to competing browsers (Firefox, Opera, Chrome, Browser-du-jour...) more because they are not Microsoft products than because they are superior products. Seems like a poor reason to switch, to me...
What bothers me about Chrome is who sponsors it. People complain about Microsoft "controlling" everything - isn't anyone bothered by the fact that Google is doing the same thing? If I have to physically de-select "Install Google Toolbar" or "Set my homepage to Google" or "Install Google Desktop" or "Give Google Power of Attorney" during one more application installation, I think I will hurl...
My two cents...
I have to agree with you. After 16 years in IT and being a total techno-geek with the latest software, video cards for gaming, writing software for the fun of it to see what cool applications I could develop, I have grown tired of it all. I haven't written a line of code in almost 3 years and hope I never have to again. I like sitting in my cube and going over business requirements, architecting out a solution and handing it off for someone else to go code. Microsoft is the company people love to hate. I use IE also and have no complaints. I do have to admit though that MACs interest me and i may have to pick up one soon.

indyws6

TANGMAN99 - I feel the same way.
Going a little off-topic here ( sorry...), but maybe it's a bit of burn-out for me. I used to be on the networking and perimeter security side of the house and was responsible for the wide-area network for our global enterprise. We aren't huge, but I built and managed a private network that spanned 50+ sites in the U.S., U.K., Poland, Hungary, S. Korea, China, Mexico, etc. and really enjoyed it. (Love the Cisco gear...)
However, I was "asked" to move back into an application analyst role to fix problems with a PLM solution that was implemented by the person that back-filled my old position. Unfortunately, poor implementation and training approaches, along with data issues, left the company with a system that can barely stay above water. I am in the middle of re-engineering the system (new hardware, application and database upgrades, etc.) that should help us turn the corner, but I am entering my 10th week with Tech Support on a ticket to correct data problems that are preventing the upgrade. 'Frustrating' doesn't begin to cover it...
MAC's have a solid reputation and are certainly well-liked by the people that own them. I would like to "play" with one for a while, but there is no way I could use one as a daily driver - they simply can't do all of the things I need or want to do. From a business standpoint, they aren't a supported hardware platform for most of our enterprise applications.
Take Care

tangman99

Indyws6,
I started the same way. LANs and WANs back in the day before high speed switches came along and we were on 100BaseT hubs segmented by routers. I built all the networks and setup and maintained all the Novell, NT and UNIX servers. I loved the work but the hours were hell. I went into application development and consulting for many years. The money was good but keeping up with technology sucks. Always a new version coming up and having to learn the latest technology. Over many years I worked my way out and now I only do Enterprise Architecture work. I don't get paid for what I do but rather what I know. It's a great gig.
I'll be honest with you. You might have enjoyed the network stuff, but it's a deadend for most people unless you get all your security certifications and get into doing independent security audits. If you can pull off what you are doing now, you could end up with a nice little gig in the end. The valuable person is the one that knows a system from end to end and not a particular piece. What you are dealing with now is what they pay me the big bucks to make sure doesn't happen in the first place. You have a tough job ahead of you. I'll give you a few pieces of advice. It looks like you have identified all the players and what needs to be done. Do you have the authority to use resources to do the work? If not, you are going to have to work it up your side and have it fall back down on theirs. If the powers that be are not committed, it's not going to get done. If you have that taken care of, just make sure the time tables are doable. You were brought back for a reason and whether you like it or not, all eyes are on you. You've got to make the situation realistic. Last, document everything. BCC yourself on every email you send out and CYA as no one ever seems to remember being told to do something.
Also, be very careful throwing hardware at a problem. Especially with the data problems you are having. I would make sure your DBA's know what in the hell they are doing. Is it a custom database? Is it normalized at the right level? Most important, have they ran explain plans on all the SQL. 90% of the time I deal with database performance, it's an index problem and SQL statements are doing full tablescans. If you don't have a DBA running explain plans on every SQL statement in a application to ensure indexes are being used correctly, your developers will kill you as very few of them know anything about tuning SQL.
Status reports do wonders for motivation. You don't have to use names, but if you summarize the areas involved, schedules and throw a few red statuses on an area, it will get their attention.
You may know all of this already so don't take me giving you advice the wrong way. I been in your situation and the key is to manage expectations, surround yourself with good people to get the job done and stay on top of everything. Nothing like a CTO telling you he needs something done in 6 weeks with $500,000 and you tell him it's going to take 6 months and triple the budget if he want's it done right. If you have the reputation, they may not like it, but they usually won't question you.
Good luck and if you have any questions or just want to run something by me, feel free to PM me.