Gorgian:What i learned to extend their life

reef_dart21

Ok i have a of Two gorgians:
1.Blueberry gorgian (8months)
2.Yellow finger gorgian (2 years)
Both were able to break the branches off them selves and spread through out my tank now i have a total of 6 little frags (all 3-4" they are for sale)
But throughtout my time i found some methods that do help increase their lifespan.
What i do:
1. Although non photosenthetic they often grow slower under very dark conditions so it is best to do part shade and part sun.
2. DO NOT use direct power head. Place the powerheads so they will hit a spot near the Gorgian and create a strong current. Direct powerhead to a gorgian tends to break the branches and is harder to feedthem.
3.I tested wether or not height place affects growth rate: for 5 months: but it does not : Varibales that i found to affect the growth is too much current or too little current too much light or too little of light.
What i feed them:
I feed kent marine microvert 1 time every 3 days, they also eat other brands/plankton and etc but i like the kent marine.
OF COURSE THIS IS JSUT WHAT I OBTAIN THROUGH MY OBSERVATION I BY NO MEANS AM CERTAIN AND CAN NOT APPLY THIS TO ALL GORGIANS
If this helps yourwelcome if it doesnt i didnt write it

anyother questions just post

N

nonphotosynt

Thank you and can you post more details:
1- Full tank shot and photo of filtration and flow system, with description. Reef Central has thread oat non-photosynt forum "FTS of NPS systems" (or something like that), similar information, very useful for us, who learn.
2 - Photos of this corals before and after, I'm particularly interested in branch growth of yellow diodogorgia and tissue recession (if any) for blueberry.
3 - Are you using natural sea water, if not - brand of sea salt and is Mg adjusted and other additives used. There was thread that didogorgia may require additional iodine.
4 - Amount of food that tank receives, is it only Microvert?
5 - Closeup of the microlife in the tank, maybe it contributes to the feeding too.
6 - Position of these corals, especially blueberry, in relation to the flow sources. Laminar, on wavemaker, turbulent, reflected - any details you can provide. Are polyps bent by the flow?
7 - Salinity, alkalinity, temperature, usual nitrates and - if any - phosphates. Are you using probiotics, UV, ozone?
8 - How are you dealing with detritus accumulation on the rock surfaces, bristle worms and aiptasia?
Thank you.
Post as much as possible for us - to study systems, that allow keeping these corals.

reef_dart21

1.PICS will come tomorrow
2.PICS will come tomorrow
3. I usually use red sea but recently i switched to aquatic gardens salt, i now prefer the aqatic gardens salt over the red sea.
4.Food:
a. Mysis
b. Brine frozen/live
c. Cyclops
d. Custom food (krill, oysters,clam,scallops,broccilli,mysis,brine,brine eggs)
e. Seaweed veggies soaked in garlic
5.PICS will come tomorrow
6.I do not use any wave system. My main yellow gorg "bottom"is placed in a cavern made by my goby and sit right next to rocks where the power head flow clashes causing ricochete. I DO NOT LET ANY OF MY GORG ARMS BEND,and the polyps SWAY back and forth from the position of the current.
7. Salinity 1.026 PH 8.4 but did have a spike of 8.6 or faulty test Alk i do not nko Temp around 80 at all times nitrates are usually 0 but max it goes ne more is 5
8. As of now no glass anemonees but i did use joes juice on the last one. Detritus is left to my smaller nassirus snail(dunno if spelt right) and my fancy nassirus cleans the sand bed. All worms have to speak to my sixline wrasse.
I do not know if this is of any signifigance but my lawn mower blenny cleans all algea buildup and never lets any growth.
Again sorry for no pics but tomorrow

T

tizzo

"how" do you feed them? Just in the tank or more of a target type?
I see people wanting to buy the blueberry all the time (where I work), and I have no advice for them, so your post is helpful.

reef_dart21

Originally Posted by Tizzo
http:///forum/post/2772525
"how" do you feed them? Just in the tank or more of a target type?
I see people wanting to buy the blueberry all the time (where I work), and I have no advice for them, so your post is helpful.

THANKS also i spot feed them with a turkey baster or for the frags i use a eye dropper.
tell them good luck

N

nonphotosynt

Waiting for pictures

Also, what amount of food you are giving, and how frequently?
How different is positioning of the blueberry gorgonian, comparing to yellow finger gorgonian?
Thanks for the provided information, but waiting for more :)

reef_dart21

here some pics sorry for the blurryness
(all frags sold sorry guys)

more tomorrow im trying to find a camera instea dof cell phone

N

nonphotosynt

I see only one Photobucket's square image placement window with words "Image was moved or deleted".
Did you copy the string at Photobucket, that starts with IMG? And pasted it in Reply window, without using any buttons above window?
Or for the last 5 photos it was another host? It may prohibit hotlinking, even of the own photos.

N

nonphotosynt

Trying, if it works for me:copying from Photobucket IMG code, paste it in the reply window, without using buttons above window:

Preview shows it.