Gorgonian ID?

dive girl

I was in a LDS the other day and saw in the back of this tank a blue gorgonian that is teetering on deaths door. I'm sure that it wasn't being fed and I couldn't just leave it there. I talked them into selling it to me for a minimal amount to see if I could save it.
I'm putting it in my Dwarf Seahorse tank which gets fed newly hatched baby brine shrimp and enriched brine shrimp. I've also added a little ZoPlan and some rotifers.
The polyps opened last night which was a good sign. I could only find one open one at the LDS.
There is so little flesh that I'm not sure if it is a blueberry or not? Hard to know how to care for it when I don't know what it is.
Anyone have any idea?

florida joe

Relative Care Ease:
Difficult
Lighting:
Requires a low to medium level
Temperatures:
68 to 79 degrees Fahrenheit
PH value:
8.1 to 8.4
DKH value:
8.0 to 12.0
Specific gravity:
1.023 and 1.025
Water Movement:
Requires medium to strong, constant or
intermittent water flow.
Feeding:
Feed very often with one of the
coral filter feeding foods. It's also good to
provide a varied diet, such as frozen baby
brine shrimp, Phyto Plankton, Marine Snow
or any of the other available foods available.
For continued good health, it will also require
the addition of iodine, calcium, strontium,
and other trace elements to the water.
Agressiveness:
Peaceful
this is the info on blue berry which I think it is. I have also been told personally that they are extremly hard to keep alive

dive girl

Well, where it currently is it's needs are being met except for the specific gravity (mine is 1.019). I don't know if it will be able to make a turn around from where it was when I got it but at least it isn't starving to death in a corner at an LDS tank where it was getting too much light and no food or flow. I really don't hold much hope but I have a very hard time in not 'rescuing' things. Heck, I wouldn't hold out much hope of being able to keep one if it had started out healthy.
Thanks for the info.

sculpin

I just recently purchased one of these. After about 3-4 hours of research and even having to translate some info from German, there has only been a hand full of people in the whole world that have managed to keep these alive for longer then a year. They have very high demands of husbandry and most people have a life beyond there fish tank. Here is what I know-
Feed Phyto, smashed cyclopeeze, rotifers every day. Also mixing the sand a bit helps put detritus into the water column and the fan will eat that too. Keep the current strong for two reasons- nutrients pass more frequently through the fan and to avoid algae growth. Low lighting to avoid algae growth as well. And thats about it.
Feeding these things every day is the most important above all. I myself have been having a hard time with this and am in the process of building a live phyto/rotifer autodoser that will do it for me. I'm building my rotifer population right now and then I'll begin dosing.
Anyways, here is what mine looks like in my 235-
Don't mind the easter basket, I'm trying to get my clowns out of my elegance before they kill it.

Sculpin

florida joe

Originally Posted by Sculpin
http:///forum/post/2973061
I just recently purchased one of these. After about 3-4 hours of research and even having to translate some info from German, there has only been a hand full of people in the whole world that have managed to keep these alive for longer then a year. They have very high demands of husbandry and most people have a life beyond there fish tank. Here is what I know-
Feed Phyto, smashed cyclopeeze, rotifers every day. Also mixing the sand a bit helps put detritus into the water column and the fan will eat that too. Keep the current strong for two reasons- nutrients pass more frequently through the fan and to avoid algae growth. Low lighting to avoid algae growth as well. And thats about it.
Feeding these things every day is the most important above all. I myself have been having a hard time with this and am in the process of building a live phyto/rotifer autodoser that will do it for me. I'm building my rotifer population right now and then I'll begin dosing.
Anyways, here is what mine looks like in my 235-
Don't mind the easter basket, I'm trying to get my clowns out of my elegance before they kill it.

Sculpin
I like your tank set up my tank looks Similar

dive girl

Beautiful tanks!!! I look forward to the day that I have a three-digit-gallon tank. Little did my husband know...

Joe, how long have you had that yellow gorgonian? I've toyed with the idea of getting one of those for my dwarf tank, but wanted to do more studying before getting one.
Knowing a little about gorgonians I just couldn't let this one waste away in the LDS though I don't have high hopes about it surviving.
I'm trying my hand at culturing rotifers for the first time now. We'll see how that goes.
Little did I know that when I first went to get a couple of fish I would get a ro/di unit, dwarf seahorse (in their own tank), corals, anemones, raise bbs, and now try rotifers.

florida joe

Joe, how long have you had that yellow gorgonian? I've toyed with the idea of getting one of those for my dwarf tank, but wanted to do more studying before getting one.
this is my second week. they are a a challange