gorgonian question

crossan

For the people who have this, is it glued onto the live rock or did you just stick it in the sand? I have one and I am not quite sure where it would best be placed for a seahorse.

darthtang aw

when I had mine I tied it down with thread into a piece of live rock in a higher flow area (relative to seahorse requirements)...

reefforbrains

poking it in to the sand will kill it off like a depth marker for how far you push it in, better to crazy glue it to a rock and then put the rock anywhere you like. JMO

monalisa

I was lucky with my gorg in that it was easily wedged into a piece of rock that I had. It still wasn't doing that great in my reef, but seems to be really coming around nicely in my sh tank.
Lisa...

crossan

the guy at the lfs told me to just to stick it in the sand and it will grow that way, I really don't know what to do with it now.

monalisa

Originally Posted by crossan
the guy at the lfs told me to just to stick it in the sand and it will grow that way, I really don't know what to do with it now.
Do you have a small piece of rock that it'll kinda slip into somehow? Otherwise, some peeps use small rubberbands to hold corals onto to rock pieces...could give that a go.
Good luck, post pics when you have them.
Lisa

monalisa

can you use crazy glue or does it have to be the special underwater kind
I've never used crazy glue for anything, but I have read that it has to be crazy glue "gel". Don't know what the difference is.
Lisa

monalisa

thanks, I think I will just use the rubberband. I don't want to kill it.
That's what I'd do as well. IDK...I don't like adding any more "stuff" to my tank water than absolutely necessary. Once it looks like it's pretty much anchored, you can remove the rubber band. Good luck. Post a pic!!
Lisa

rbaldino

Originally Posted by MonaLisa
I've never used crazy glue for anything, but I have read that it has to be crazy glue "gel". Don't know what the difference is.
Lisa

The gel is thicker and easier to work with. I've glued some zoos and a kenya without any problems.

valgae

dont mean to highjack but got a question. my yellow gorg is growin pink corralline on it. what should i do?

reefkprz

I use krazy glue gel to glue almost everything (gorgonian included) youhave to scrape some of the flesh off the base to get to the central core of the gorgonian otherwise the tissue you glued to will die and it will let go. the only difference between the gel and the thinset is the gel is sooooo much easier to work with as Rbaldino pointed out.