Gorgonian questions.

coral keeper

What do you feed Gorgonians and can coralline or any other algae grow on them when there still alive and where's the best place to put them in your tank?

perfectdark

Originally Posted by Coral Keeper
http:///forum/post/2602871
What do you feed Gorgonians and can coralline or any other algae grow on them when there still alive and where's the best place to put them in your tank?
Anything from zoe plankton to mysis even, mine gets zoa and cyclops. Non photosynthetic species are more prone to algae build up, and putting them in high flow areas is a must. This keeps any build up from accumulating on them. When placing them in your tank make sure they are not touching other corals, and not leaning on any LR. Necrocis of the outter flesh is very common and often facilitated by algae build up or leaning up against LR. HTH.

reefkprz

gorgonians are one of the few corals that can utilize phytoplankton, (believe it or not most corals that are organismal feeders prefer meaty foods not phytoplankton) gorgonians are one of the exceptions they can and will capture phyto and IME and from listening to others that have successfully kept non-photosynthetic gorgonians, phyto has been one of the key pieces in every success story on them I have heard. unfortunatly for the less hardy species the only success storys I have heard run constant phyto drips (as you can imagine this can play hell with oyur nutrient levels) so you need a very well though out filtration system and maintinence schedual to properly care for these animals. I count successes in these corals in years not months. 12 months is not success 2 years is. 12 months is just a really slow starvation (obviously this is not true of every situation but you can see where I am leading to)
I personally refuse to keep or sell/trade them, and reccomend others avoid them, if some one is new enough in the hobby to need to ask how to care for them the chances are the tank and the keepers experience level is low enough to almost gaurantee a slow death for the gorgonian. I have tried and failed with EVERY nonphotosythetic gorgonian I have ever had my longest survivor was 14 months that equals a serious failure on my part IMO.

reef_dart21

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
http:///forum/post/2603066
gorgonians are one of the few corals that can utilize phytoplankton, (believe it or not most corals that are organismal feeders prefer meaty foods not phytoplankton) gorgonians are one of the exceptions they can and will capture phyto and IME and from listening to others that have successfully kept non-photosynthetic gorgonians, phyto has been one of the key pieces in every success story on them I have heard. unfortunatly for the less hardy species the only success storys I have heard run constant phyto drips (as you can imagine this can play hell with oyur nutrient levels) so you need a very well though out filtration system and maintinence schedual to properly care for these animals. I count successes in these corals in years not months. 12 months is not success 2 years is. 12 months is just a really slow starvation (obviously this is not true of every situation but you can see where I am leading to)
I personally refuse to keep or sell/trade them, and reccomend others avoid them, if some one is new enough in the hobby to need to ask how to care for them the chances are the tank and the keepers experience level is low enough to almost gaurantee a slow death for the gorgonian. I have tried and failed with EVERY nonphotosythetic gorgonian I have ever had my longest survivor was 14 months that equals a serious failure on my part IMO.

hope this doesnt jinx anything but i had mine for 14 months and its fine

mx#28

Originally Posted by Coral Keeper
http:///forum/post/2602871
The question is too vague - simply because there are many different species of gorgonians that are adapted to many different conditions.
On the algae, however, any overgrowth is an issue and can hinder/kill gorgonians. Either high flow or occasionally brushing the gorgonian off will be neccessary.

mx#28

gorgonians are one of the few corals that can utilize phytoplankton, (believe it or not most corals that are organismal feeders prefer meaty foods not phytoplankton) gorgonians are one of the exceptions they can and will capture phyto and IME and from listening to others that have successfully kept non-photosynthetic gorgonians, phyto has been one of the key pieces in every success story on them I have heard. unfortunatly for the less hardy species the only success storys I have heard run constant phyto drips (as you can imagine this can play hell with oyur nutrient levels) so you need a very well though out filtration system and maintinence schedual to properly care for these animals.
From my experience and a large majority of my readings and other research (though there are blatent disagreements), most non-photosynthetic gorgonians are zooplankton eaters. Many of the non-photosynthetic soft corals (carnations, etc) DO rely on a much heavier phytoplankton diet, but I'm aware of a number of different gorgonian species being kept and grown for significant time periods with feedings of artemia nauplii, cyclopeeze, rotifers, etc.
The two non-photosynthetic gorgonian species I'm currenty keeping (Guaiagorgia sp. and Menella sp.) will not touch phytoplankton, but will gladly consume zooplankton like that listed above.
Much is left to be learned about these, for sure, but there is a great deal of interest and study flaring up recently. Hopefully their husbandry needs will be clearer in the near future.

mx#28

I count successes in these corals in years not months. 12 months is not success 2 years is. 12 months is just a really slow starvation (obviously this is not true of every situation but you can see where I am leading to)

Agreed. Although I would also add that significant growth over a reasonable time is also a sign of success.

mx#28

if some one is new enough in the hobby to need to ask how to care for them the chances are the tank and the keepers experience level is low enough to almost gaurantee a slow death for the gorgonian.

I absolutely agree here, too.
I asked SWF to set this forum up because there has been a recent emergence of interest in this topic (including my own). My hope is that this forum can be home to the more advanced and dedicated aquarists who are willing to devote the time and research to learn about the succesful husbandry of different azooxanthellate corals - and share that info.
I really hope this can be a good, advanced level topic - and that begginers and causual reef keepers are dissuaded from attempting to keep these types of corals.

spanko

I am interested in the photosynthetic gorgs myself. I have a pc. of either Plexaurella or Pseudoplexaurella. I love this gorg. I am trying to find a pc. locally of Pterogoria also. I love the relative ease of care of these gorgs and would recommend that beginners try the photsynthetics first, even though they are not corolful like the others, IMO they are beautiful in their own right.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by MX#28
http:///forum/post/2603939
From my experience and a large majority of my readings and other research (though there are blatent disagreements), most non-photosynthetic gorgonians are zooplankton eaters. Many of the non-photosynthetic soft corals (carnations, etc) DO rely on a much heavier phytoplankton diet, but I'm aware of a number of different gorgonian species being kept and grown for significant time periods with feedings of artemia nauplii, cyclopeeze, rotifers, etc.
I absolutly agree that diodogorgia and plexaurid gogonians as well as most other gorgonians can utilize meaty foods as well as phyto, I believe one of the benifits of a constant drip of phyto is to help boost the natural rotifer populations in the tank containing the creatures making more foods availible in more forms.
I think the sheer amounts of food required by these animals is far underestimated by most hobbyest, basicly IMO/IMEthey need constant feeding due to their sparse polyps and small food choices, and are definatly not suitable for new tanks.
unfortunatly Diogorgia (the coloful reds and yellows with colored or white polyps) are not good for begginners, genus I would suggest are Briarium, (dead mans finger {looks like green star polyp but is brown}) the pacific species, Eythropodium (encrusting gorgonian) from the family of Gorgoniedae, I advise against Gorgonia (Sea fans), Pseudopteregogia is a bit easier though can still be challenging (sea plume),Pteregorgia is probably the hardiest of the Gorgoniidae family(blade gorgonian) though hardy these need rather dynamic flow or they smother quite easily.
these are just my observations and information I picked up while being completyly unsuccesfful with the non-photosynthetic gogonians I have attempted in the past. I highly reccomend photosynthetic gorgonians over the more difficult non photosynthetics, for all but the most advanced hobbyests.

scopus tang

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/2603989
I am interested in the photosynthetic gorgs myself. I have a pc. of either Plexaurella or Pseudoplexaurella. I love this gorg. I am trying to find a pc. locally of Pterogoria also. I love the relative ease of care of these gorgs and would recommend that beginners try the photsynthetics first, even though they are not corolful like the others, IMO they are beautiful in their own right.
Henry (or anyone else with the photosynthetic varieties), could you post pictures of your gorgorians? I've got two different photosynthetic species that I'm trying to identify by scientific names, and I think I'm close on one, but still have no clue on the other. Thanks

mx#28

Originally Posted by Scopus Tang
http:///forum/post/2604841
Henry (or anyone else with the photosynthetic varieties), could you post pictures of your gorgorians? I've got two different photosynthetic species that I'm trying to identify by scientific names, and I think I'm close on one, but still have no clue on the other. Thanks
They can be tricky to ID. Scopus Tang, can you get some photos of yours? I think maybe we should start a new ID thread in this forum.

scopus tang

Originally Posted by MX#28
http:///forum/post/2604948
They can be tricky to ID. Scopus Tang, can you get some photos of yours? I think maybe we should start a new ID thread in this forum.
Sounds good, I'll try and post shots ~ but should the thread be here or in another forum since their photosynthetic? I'm a little confused as you can tell by all these choices

reefkprz

I believe most success stories with green goniopora entail supplemental feedings of rotifers and crushed cyclops. but overall tyhe success rate is still rather dismal. some people dont do anything and successfully keep them. IMO its one of those corals we just dont understand well enough yet.

matt2364

haha, sorry about that. I was reading it as goniopora for some reason. I have heard that clyclpeeze works very well for feeding the goniopora btw.