gorgonians

sleeper

Any gorgonian experts around these parts? I know all the basics; high-flow, constant feedings, etc.
But i'm considering a blueberry gorgonian for my reef and want to really hear people's opinions, experiences, and advice on the topic...
Thanks!

celacanthr

I actually recently read an article where they discussed that cleaning the detritus that collects on the walls and rock (so that this detritus goes into the water column), will actually incite a bigger feeding response than using commercial products.

euphoria

I have a deep sea yellow and so far it's doing great. I keep it under a shade and every few days when polyps are open I use a turkey baster to feed it phytoplankton mixed w/ frozen cyclopeeze.

dburr

I have 2 gargs that were the first corals in my tank. Thats about 5 years old. Any gargs with white polyps are non-photosynthetic. The purple gargs are. The more light you throw at them the faster they grow,IMO. They can be fed small foods, even flake food if it's crushed small enough. A turkey baster is the best way to feed them,IMO.
They frag vert easy with wire cutters, after the cut use the wire stripper part to remove the flesh from the center, and that can be super glued into a new hole in a rock.
Any thing else you want to know?

sleeper

thanks, guys! I'm doing well with the zoas and rics I have now, so this is pure speculation, but I'll keep your advice in mind.
What is everyone's idea of a god feeding regimen? Would they eat oyster eggs? I do an oyster egg/DT's mix for my rics and fan worms... (I aggressively change my water to account for this). Could the same mix be applied to gorgs?
Anyone have some pics of their favorites?

dburr

eggs will be good. They eat just about any thing.
Here's an old pic, garg's on the right, pagota cup on the left. I just fraged the garg yesterday for my club meeting.