Got a Acropora 30,000 Leagues Lokani frag today, pictures....

efishnsea

Got this from my LFS, most expensive frag I have ever purchased, $45

It has purple tips and green polyps. It was delivered by Rafael himself. Here is a quote about it from the Dr's
"The "30,000 Leagues" Lokani Coral is a small polyp stony (SPS) coral that is a rare find in the reefkeeping community. The "30,000 Leagues" Lokani is a new addition to the aquaculture industry. The broodstock for this coral was acquired as a small frag that was cut from a wild Tongan coral colony. Rafael, owner of The Coral Nursery (TCN), grew out the small frag over the next few years into a beautiful colony that is now used to produce these incredibly colored frags. This deepwater coral is great for the more advanced reefkeeper who is looking for a unique specimen to round out their display. This beautifully colored coral grows slower than most other Acropora corals and can be maintained under low, moderate, or high lighting. Under high lighting, "30,000 Leagues" Lokani Coral develops a purple/blue base with purple tips, while in low to moderate lighting the color is a turquoise with intense purple tips. Stable water parameters, especially Calcium, Magnesium, and Alkalinity levels are needed in order to maintain its health in the home aquarium."
What is the most expensive acro you have purchased. Please post some pictures.

Thanks
efishnsea

teen

purple monster 1/4" nub $50

i spent something like $79 for a frag of red hot chilli pepper monti and $79 for a frag of sunset monti. the RHCP was like 1/8"x 1/4" and the sunset was like 1/4"x 1/2". not acros, but sps. and to make it even worse, i lost the sunset
first frag i lost in quite awhile. to bad it had to be THE piece i was looking for and a hefty price tag.

myzislow

Originally Posted by teen
http:///forum/post/2497742
purple monster 1/4" nub $50

i spent something like $79 for a frag of red hot chilli pepper monti and $79 for a frag of sunset monti. the RHCP was like 1/8"x 1/4" and the sunset was like 1/4"x 1/2". not acros, but sps. and to make it even worse, i lost the sunset
first frag i lost in quite awhile. to bad it had to be THE piece i was looking for and a hefty price tag.
Nice lokani efish

Hey teen can u post an updated pic of your monster, I wan to see what kind of growth you've gotten. I remember when you first posted it how small of a nub it was and I know it a slow grower, so it would be interesting to see the progress. Sorry to hear about the sunset too, I almost lost mine to nudis but thankfully I caught them in time and saved it. Also, do you have a pic of the red hot chilli pepper? I'm going to atlantis today and hopefully I can get him to cut me a frag of there colony they have been growing out.
My most expensive acro I've ever bought is the LE pink lemonade and I paid 70 for in person @ atlantis.

teen

ill try and get a pic of the PM this week. its done a little encrusting and a tiny bit of upward growth. nothing majorly noticeable. ive heard it takes awhile for it to get started, but the growth isnt as bad once it gets to mini colony stature.
as for the RHCPM, i almost lost that too. ive got a really tiny piece of it left, but it seems to be doing o.k. for now. im hoping itll make a comeback. the site i ordered these pieces from i was very dissapointed with. the pieces were all really small and the colors in the corals were horrible.

natclanwy

I just paid $70 for this acro which is way more than I normally spend on coral but this one is a very large piece about 8" tall from the rock and about 8" wide on the longest branches.

volcom69

The 30,000 is nice, but the 20,000 leagues is about $100 frag, but u cant beat the color on that. Thats a sweet purple monster and that will also be probably ur slowest growing coral.

efishnsea

Originally Posted by volcom69
http:///forum/post/2498218
The 30,000 is nice, but the 20,000 leagues is about $100 frag, but u cant beat the color on that. Thats a sweet purple monster and that will also be probably ur slowest growing coral.
They are actually both from the same mother colony according to Raphael the owner of The Coral Nursery. He got a frag from the mother colony years ago and grew it out. He changed the name because of conflict with the owners of the 20,000 league colony, so he named it 30,000. Same thing less expensive^.
The frags are selling for $79 I got it for $45 because of a trade.

myzislow

Originally Posted by teen
http:///forum/post/2497954
ill try and get a pic of the PM this week. its done a little encrusting and a tiny bit of upward growth. nothing majorly noticeable. ive heard it takes awhile for it to get started, but the growth isnt as bad once it gets to mini colony stature.
as for the RHCPM, i almost lost that too. ive got a really tiny piece of it left, but it seems to be doing o.k. for now. im hoping itll make a comeback. the site i ordered these pieces from i was very dissapointed with. the pieces were all really small and the colors in the corals were horrible.
Cool, thanks I appreciate it. For some reason the purple monster hasn't really ever appealed to me, besides the fact that it is rare. I haven't seen a colony in person though, so I can't really form a solid opinion besides what I've seen in pics online.
I was able to persuade the guy to frag his RHCPM for me this weekend
Supposedly I got the first frag that Atlantis has released so far. I've been watching there colony grow out for awhile now and have had my eye on it so I'm super stoked. It's my most expensive coral purchase so far @ $100 for a 3/4" chunk. I also grabbed the atlantis shades of fall and really like that one as well, I think even more then the tyree lemonade.
What kind of placement do you have for your RHCPM? Atlantis has there colony way far off to the side almost shaded in a medium flow zone. This kind of surprised me but the colors are insane. Do you have nay pics of the RHCPM you could share? I'll try to get a pic of mine here in a bit.

teen

all thats left of mine is a very small piece. like the size of my pinky nail. its not pic worthy at all.
its about 4" above my sand bed, medium flow. im going to try moving it to a more shaded are right now.
still havent got pics of the PM, but im working on it. im working crazy houres and going to school the rest, so ive had little time to spend with my tank in the last month or so.

johnny&sin

The blue tort is doing awesome... Thanks again for the sweet frag. Great seller everyone who doesn't know already!!

paintballer768

Very cool lokani man. Must expensive (and the only acro I have) was $25. About a 2" frag, still unid'ed because its so little Its a stag for sure. Brown with green polyps now, but starting to color up to a light purple.