Got a Blue Linckia Starfish today, some pictures

efishnsea

Picked up this guy/girl today. My first starfish hope all goes well, acclimated it for 3.5 hrs with a drip line...Let me know your success or failures with these Linckia laevigata.

ophiura

Acclimation shock typically sets in within a month, and I do mean...a full month...and is characterized by disintegration or melting or white patches developing.
After that, the next "success" point is about 12-18 months, when many will die of starvation in tanks without enough rock.
Otherwise, looks like a good specimen
YOu need to keep those pictures, see how fat and cylindrical the arms are in the second pic? That is still a reasonably well fed star. Refer to those pics every so often.
Lots of LR in a big mature reef tank...that's part of the key

efishnsea

Thanks for the info ophiura, it has disappeared into the rocks for now. It looked like a great specimen we shall see.

tangwhispr

I've had a blue and purple one for nearly 3 years in my tank, I have never seen them eat, I have a 300gal with about 300# of liverock...I have tried to spot feed them and they have rejected everything that I have tried. I never aclimate, I just dump into a net and drop in my tank....no idea how I have had such good luck with my 2.

efishnsea

Originally Posted by TangWhispr
I've had a blue and purple one for nearly 3 years in my tank, I have never seen them eat, I have a 300gal with about 300# of liverock...I have tried to spot feed them and they have rejected everything that I have tried. I never aclimate, I just dump into a net and drop in my tank....no idea how I have had such good luck with my 2.
That is good to hear, do you have any pictures. Do they knock stuff over or just move around the corals?????

ophiura

No, they can not eat fish.
They are considered reef safe, though may eat sponge. However, they are very delicate, and success is highly correlated with very large tanks and a lot of LR in a mature reef tank.

kevin34

So would a year old 125g reef with 180lbs of lr be a good example of a tank for one? Just curious about what they need exactly. Iv always liked starfish but never knew there were any reef safe ones that looked like this.

ophiura

Depending on water parameters, it would be a reasonable tank...better for an orange, purple or burgundy. I never recommend them, but that is a decent system if you wanted to try (again, depending on water parameters).

stumpyfish

very nice, although I love the color and the way they move, I know my tanks arent mature enough to support one, one day though!!!

efishnsea

Originally Posted by stumpyfish
very nice, although I love the color and the way they move, I know my tanks arent mature enough to support one, one day though!!!
I'm feeling your pain
....I've wanted one forever, Hopefully my 3 year old 210g will give it a home it can thrive and not just survive in

hefner413

I had an orange in my 10 mo old 55 gal with 130 lbs of mature LR. Parameters were prestine. I thought I would have success, but it never took to the rock! It always hung out on the glass. Was cool to look at, but my glass obviously didn't have enough food. I tried moving it to the rock 3 times. each time it immediately went to the glass again. I also took pics initially and compared over time - over the 3 months I had it - it just got smaller and smaller. Spot feeding was a no go.
I'm going to give it a go again some day down the road in the 180 that I'm setting up. Yours looks like a beaut tho. Hope you have better success. 3yr old 210 sounds good. And looks like the rock is perfect.

ophiura

Well, in part it is not so much rock but "surface area." They are surface film feeders most likely...and quite possibly on sponges and such like that. But it is very very difficult for us to predict success. The only real strong correlation is lots of surface area of high quality mature LR in larger tanks. This is where sheer weight is an issue, because if it is not porous, it does not have a high surface area to volume ratio. The larger tanks may simply just be that more LR can be in there
but also may be that the water conditions remain more stable.
I appreciate you sharing your experience Hefner413
People need to think very long and hard about keeping these.