got a crazy idea

jesatfis

has anyone ever thought of putting a reef setup in a big swiming pool? like haveing it 24 feet long 10 feet wide and from 9-4 feet deep?
yeah it would be a ton of work but wouldnt it look cool i mean snorkiling in your own backyard ocean swimming pool
anyone ever do this or wants too?

jobob

i thought about it, i wanted to put a nurse shark in there! the only problem is i live in pa and it gets cold in the winter. i do have a heater for the pool, but it would cost alot of money to keep the heat up. maybe if i use tank heaters it mite be cheaper! i would need like 20 of them!!!!!!

snipe

That would be neat but could you image how mutch you would have to spend in just water to get it filled and to do a water change it would be like a couple hundred gallons for just a water change! How mutch live rock and sand you would need "THE CLEANING CREW" it would be a giant buttload of money and wouldnt be worth it cause you wouldnt get to see if from the side veiw if you want to snorkle take your lid off your tank and dunk your head in. lol

jesatfis

Originally posted by Snipe
That would be neat but could you image how mutch you would have to spend in just water to get it filled and to do a water change it would be like a couple hundred gallons for just a water change! How mutch live rock and sand you would need "THE CLEANING CREW" it would be a giant buttload of money and wouldnt be worth it cause you wouldnt get to see if from the side veiw if you want to snorkle take your lid off your tank and dunk your head in. lol

well we can all play the lotto lol

fishieness

deja-freakin-vu. I was thinking about this today. I dont have a pool, and i live in CT so it would get waaaay too cold. But i was trying to plan ways on how i could do it. of course id have to be a billiion-aire with my crazy ideas. It would be awsome though to have like a trap door leading down to the side of the tank that is glass so you could look in from underneith the ground. But man, for the cost of that, you might as well buy a house in Balise

loopy

deja-freakin-vu TOO!!!!!!!! I was just telling someone today that I was going to take the hot tub and bedroom out and put in a giant indoor aquarium that I could dive in!!!!!!!!! Then I said...woulda abeen a hellava lot easier to just put it in the pool when I lived in Texas!!!!! Oh, we are such 'cool idea' people.
we need a snorkeling smiley!!!!!!!!!!
:happyfish

snipe

I seen a guy's tank he custom made for sharks and rays. It was in his front room and looked like a hottub but it had 2 sharks and 1 ray in it and was planning on getting another ray. It was 800 gallons also here is a couple of tanks for you.
this first one isnt so wide but is tall could swim in it if you were a kid. Kinda funny mans rich enough to have a big enough tank a stand that comes out of the floor but cant afford live corals lol.

snipe

Here is the next this tank is betwen six to seven feet tall "I KNOW HUGE" and probly around 15 to 20 feet long "Big guess but it is somewhere around there" You could scuba in this thing it is freakin huge!!!!

bill f

Hey snipe - you think that guy with the stand cleans that tank?
:notsure: :notsure: :thinking: :notsure: :notsure:
Think Not!:scared:

agoutihead

where did you find those two pics of those giant tanks? they are AWESOME and i love the idea of the stand in the floor.

snipe

I found them just surfin the net. I have seen some other big ones but didnt get screens of thoughs. I have seen 500gal reef tanks up to 2 or 3 thousand gallon corals tanks "places that sell corals have huge vats probly 20 to 30 feet long and around 3 to 4 vats in a row with around 5 rows "That is just one part of the building" The skimmers on them around probly 6 to 8 feet tall and are computer animated "they have a touch screen comp right on the skimmer" they use 3 1 horse power pumps to pump all the water. THERE FREAKIN HUGE!!! I forgot the site but man it was awsome! They are a huge online retailer but the god thing is local ppl can walk right in the building and point out what corals or fish they want. For excellent prices.