Got my first Anemone Today, Nee a Little Advice

sculpin

I just bought a Green Bubble Anemone today for my clown. It really is beautiful but small (about the size of the bottom of a coke can) and my tomato is already hosting in it
. My questions is do I need to know anything special when it comes to anemones or will the clown just take care of it?
Now before you think "oh what a noob" Here is the important stuff you need to know-
Tank: 235 gal Reef
Lighting: 2 250 W Metal halides 2 24 CP Actinic
Filtration: Refugium w/ protein skimmer
Tanks been running for over two years
Now my tank is fairly void of coral (I'm working on stocking it right now) so I'm not to worried about the bubble moving and finding a spot. What I need to know is- should I start dosing with iodine and do any stuff like that?
Also I found another Tomato Clown that I wanted to try and introduce. He/she was a steal so I had to get em and he's in my quarantine tanks right now. The new one is slightly larger then my current tomato but both are fair sized, do you think I'm safe with the intro or is it as I fear, that they will fight over the anemone?
Thanks for the help guys.
Oh the anemone looks just like this guy-

Not bad for 20 bucks huh?
Sculpin

ibew41

it looks bleached IMO your lights are fine what are your test results on your water?have you tried to feed it yet?

perfectdark

Your set up is perfect, no need to add anything. Your anemone is very bleached, keep it spot fed, every 3 days or so. Small very small pieces of marine diet and raw, mysis, krill, squid, clam and silversides are just a few ideas. Keeping the portions small will ensure that the animal is benefiting from the food and not wasting the energy that it needs on digestion. Typically nothing larger than its mouth but IMO I would say smaller. Keep your eye on your clown make sure its not too aggressive with its anemone. This coupled with it being bleached can sometimes lead to stressing it out to dangerous levels. Just keep a watchful eye but dont intervene unless necessary.

sculpin

Thank you. I've been keeping an eye on it and the clown seems to be semi interested but doesn't host in it yet, just rubs up on it and moves to his usually hiding spot. What exactly do you mean by bleached? How do you bleach an anemone (heavy lighting I would guess)?
Sculpin

michaeltx

bleached is where is releases all its algae as a survival mechanism unfortuneatley most do ot recover and its usually when its under less light or when changed to a really high intense light.
the picture above looks bleached out to a degree but you said that one wasnt yours right?
Mike

N

nemo_66

not bad for 20 bucks, even if its bleached. good luck with it

oh, and the lighting seems like nothing to me. i have a 400watt MH on my 58 gallon

perfectdark

Its common for distributors to starve anemones of light to bleach them white like yours is. Apparently they seem to sell more to misinformed hobbiest who think that is a highly sought after or desirable color. When hit with actinic lighting they floureses a neon tint. And although it looks cool, it is certainly not a healthy specimen. Keep is spot feed with small portions of marine foods, that are raw, clams, mysis, silversides, shrimp as examples. Finely chopped and administered with a turkey baster or eye dropper every 3 days or so. This will aid in the recovery of your animal. Good Luck.

sculpin

Well I guess you can call me a noob then (I know I do). I really just thought it looked cool... oops. I've spot feed him with some chopped krill the other day and he seemed to eat it. I have a Cynarina I feed at the same time so I just used the same stuff but I have no idea if it's bad for them.
Thanks, I'll let you know how it turns out and if he starts getting color back.
Sculpin

coraljunkie

Bleaching is a result of poor lighting. Anemones are not white naturally. Here is a sebae that I have. Before and after pics. You can see the difference in color

I also feed it silversides about every two to three days.