Got my first coral today

srgvigil

There both ORA corals
The guy wrote down the names of them
Pezrberry
and tricolor validz
also wanted to throw in that these guys being ORA are not takenfrom the ocean and are fragged

paintballer768

Very nice starts, I hope they work out for you. I was going to guess the first one was a miami orchid. Looks like you could use a couple of mexican turbo snails as well.

socal57che

Originally Posted by paintballer768
http:///forum/post/2638092
Very nice starts, I hope they work out for you. I was going to guess the first one was a miami orchid. Looks like you could use a couple of mexican turbo snails as well.
I was thinking a sea hare and water changes.

srgvigil

Im getting the problem under control
The main problem was that I went from qa 130 watt pc light to a 324 watt t5
Ive been starving it ang shortening my lighting schedule
Good thing is that the algae has stopped growing at the rate it was
Im waiting for my qt to get recycled (was cycled, got a blue tang that got ich while in the qt, had to clean it and set it back up) and then ill get something to help me irraticate it. So don't worry Im fighting the problem and not just letting it be.
Also im doing 20 percent water changes every week

socal57che

Do you have a skimmer?
Skimming will reduce dissolved solids and proteins in your water column thus removing much of the food source that green hair likes.
Nice corals, btw. As I recall, you went from a satellite dual to a nova extreme, right? How do you like the new lights?

srgvigil

Yah I have a protein skimmer. It's the seaclone 150. Im saving up though for a better one because when I bought the seaclone I wasn't planning on getting corals, but I'm having problems with it losing its airflow. When I sell my car (it was totaled in an accident) I should have enough money to get a nicer protein skimmer. The seaclone will do though until I get enough money I just have to do weekly cleanings of the pump :(
I love the nova extreme pro and am glad I decided to upgrade to it. I'm upgrading everything on my tank
I've upgraded the lighting
I'm designing a sump for it right now and should have it up and running by the end of the month so that is technically upgrading the filtering.
Also just wanted to throw in Im 17 and the deal with my parents was that they would set me up originaly (I got my tank for christmas) but I would have to pay for all the upgrades to it.
Funny note: Right when I was writing the thing about selling my car a guy called and offered to buy it. He's going to check it out tmrw so I might be getting that skimmer sooner than I thought

paintballer768

Originally Posted by SrgVigil
http:///forum/post/2638162
Im getting the problem under control
The main problem was that I went from qa 130 watt pc light to a 324 watt t5
Ive been starving it ang shortening my lighting schedule
Good thing is that the algae has stopped growing at the rate it was
Im waiting for my qt to get recycled (was cycled, got a blue tang that got ich while in the qt, had to clean it and set it back up) and then ill get something to help me irraticate it. So don't worry Im fighting the problem and not just letting it be.
Also im doing 20 percent water changes every week
Good to know. Im sure the mix of all the steps youre taking will help it out