Got my Fuzzy dwarf!!

pugnut87

So we got the 34 setup and running well. And after the levels became good I brought my Fuzzy Dwarf home.
He is doing well, the guys that the Reef shop were telling me that they were having problems feeding him. No problems here, he loves Mysis, little silver sides. And begs when I come by the tank. He is perfect!
Here is a couple pictures of the tank and "Harvey" He wouldn't stay in a normal position for me to take a picture.
lol

pugnut87

O really? How can you tell the --- of a Fuzzy Dwarf?
O yeah, loves to eat! when you come towards the tank the begging begins. lol

sepulatian

Originally Posted by pugnut87
http:///forum/post/3100946
O really? How can you tell the --- of a Fuzzy Dwarf?
O yeah, loves to eat! when you come towards the tank the begging begins. lol
You count the stripes. I don't remember the number for female or male though... cranberry???

aquaguy24

I think under 6 or 5 stripes is female. More stripe then that is male.
Awesome little fuzzy. That's good u got eatin frozen already. I had to start off with live ghost shrimp and now with frozen. R u planning any tankmates.

cranberry

I totally said the opposite of what I wanted to say. It totally looks like it will be a male. But if their small, ya can't be sure.
It goes by the number of stripes of the pectoral fins, the length of the fins and the size of the head.
The male has the larger head, longer pectoral fins, and have between 6 to 10 bands (or stripes) on their pectoral fins.
Female have only 4 to 6 stripes.
Could you get a pic of him next to a ruler. Doesn't have to be the best shot.
I see way more males locally than I do females. I've been looking for a female. I think I may have one but she's terribly small and I have no idea if her numbers of stripes will grow as she gets bigger. I've been unable to find a reference to that.

pugnut87

ahh ok cool. Thanks for the info.
I will try and take a picture of him next to a ruler. I am sure it will be easy when I have some mysis around since he goes crazy for those.
I do already have two tankmates, a Dragon Wrasse and a Green spot puffer. They all mind there own and are ok together.
I am having some problems with microbubbles.

cranberry

I know you weren't specifically asking about the tankmates. But were you aware of the size the wrasse gets? Puffers can be horrible fin nippers too.... although I know nothing about the specific species you have.
Was just throwing that out there.....
EDIT: I didn't see the picture. He's still young. Mind if I ask periodically for pictures to see if the number of stripes change as they get older. I'm still leaning towards a male.

pugnut87

Cranberry
I am aware of how large the wrasses get, it won't be in the tank for much longer. And the puffer has learned its lesson to not mess with the lion.
And yes I will continue to take pictures as he ages.
Cheers