got my refractometer/help me with it

posiden

Originally Posted by Tax lady
http:///forum/post/3113120
What do you mean by "export of nutrients?"
A way of getting rid of them. ie....water changes, macro algae, chemi pure, refugiums, a combo,ect...
By doing what we need to do,(feeding our tanks) we upset the balance of life. The bacteria is doing what it needs to do by converting the ammonia and nitrites into nitrates. We can't count on bacteria alone to rid the tank of nitrates so we export. We need to figure out why nitrates are building in you system (overfeeding,overstocked, no CUC.....) and we need to figure out how to use them up safely. In this, a plan that you are comfortable with, will be the answer.
Some like skimmers, some like macro algae, and some would rather buy a chemical to add to the system to keep things in check. I like ATS. ATS stands for agal turff scrubber. Bassically I grow micro algae (ie..Hair algae or Turff) in a specific place like others grow macro algae (ie..Cheato) in a specific place.
Then some like the most simple of all I think, and that is a good ol water change. Just do one when ever needed. A lot of times 10-20% weekly is all that is needed. However sometimes an extra one might be needed in the middle of the week. It just depends on what is happening in the tank.

tax lady

Update. Found out that my test kit for Nitrates was bad. It has been replaced by a new one that agrees with the lfs that my nitrates are off the wall, so high. So I am trying to deal with that before I put anything else in there. Today I made a 10 gallon water change. will do the same again in a few days.
Funny thing though, when I put 1/2 cup of salt in 1 gallon of water for a water change, it is always too low in salinity. So today after the 10 gallon change it was only 1.023, so I put 2 more gallons in the bucket to mix BUT I put 2 cups of water. After mixing it., I put little by little in water and finally got up to 1.024. I would like it to be even higher though.
What is the consensus out there about what brand salt is good and how much to put in for each gallon? Just tested
Nitrate and it is still off the wall. i don't know why. Maybe I got a bad batch of salt. Is tht possible? I am using Schechem Reef Salt.
So I will keep on truckin till I can find a way to get Nitrates lower and salinity higher. Oh, also ph looks like 8.0/
any help would be appreciated. thanks in advance.
audrey

posiden

http:///forum/post/3124448
Update. Found out that my test kit for Nitrates was bad. It has been replaced by a new one that agrees with the lfs that my nitrates are off the wall, so high. So I am trying to deal with that before I put anything else in there. Today I made a 10 gallon water change. will do the same again in a few days.
Funny thing though, when I put 1/2 cup of salt in 1 gallon of water for a water change, it is always too low in salinity. So today after the 10 gallon change it was only 1.023, so I put 2 more gallons in the bucket to mix BUT I put 2 cups of water. After mixing it., I put little by little in water and finally got up to 1.024. I would like it to be even higher though.
What is the consensus out there about what brand salt is good and how much to put in for each gallon? Just tested
Nitrate and it is still off the wall. i don't know why. Maybe I got a bad batch of salt. Is tht possible? I am using Schechem Reef Salt.
So I will keep on truckin till I can find a way to get Nitrates lower and salinity higher. Oh, also ph looks like 8.0/
any help would be appreciated. thanks in advance.
audrey
Salt brand is a debate on its own IMO. If you ask 10 people you will get 12 different answers. The best is to use what you get solid results from. Salt is mixed in batches and sometimes those batches will vary. Last time I used Oceanic salt my calcium went through the roof. I have used Instant Ocean and had good results. I am just about out of it so I am going to use Sea Chem reef salt. The last analysis I saw of thier salt had really good numbers. It is suposed to be good salt. I think when I am done with the Sea Chem I am going to try Brightwell's salt. If I can find it.
If you have any dbouts about your salt or water and the combination of the two, then test it or them. When I mix up water for a water change I test it. I test it for salinity, alk, nitrates, calcium, phosphates. I used to check with all the tests, but I just do those now.
I mix 400ml of salt in one gallon of water and I generally fall right on 1.025. I never got the right salinity by using the amount on the side of the jug.
PH, can you please post the other test readings?
How high are the nitrates?

tax lady

How much is 400ml of salt? measure in cups please.
Nitrates test are so dark that I can't give a number for it. It is just off the charts.
Going to lfs today and will get another brand of salt. Will see if they have the one you recommend. It is a petsmart so they really do not have much there in the way of salt water stuff.
Have to leave now so will test when I come back and give you the other test results.
thnx.

tax lady

400 ml is almost 2 cups. Surely there must be some mistake. I will mix the new salt starting w/ 1/2 cup per gallon then add more till the test comes out to 1.026. Actually, should be more than that since my water is only 1.024 now.

tax lady

http:///forum/post/3125071
400 ml is almost 2 cups. Surely there must be some mistake. I will mix the new salt starting w/ 1/2 cup per gallon then add more till the test comes out to 1.026. Actually, should be more than that since my water is only 1.024 now.
here are my params as of 8/30 6:13 pm central
100 Nitrate
1.025 Salinity
8.0 PH
0 nitrite
460 calcium
0 amonia
K/H/Alk is K/H 8.0 AL in meg 2.86 Dont really know if I am doing this test right.
Nitrates are still off the wall. I am mising 4 gallons of salt water. (forgot to get more water at stor today)
Thats about all. Now I wait and see if I cn get NItrates down and salinity a wee bit higher or just stay the same.

posiden

http:///forum/post/3125071
SORRY, you are right. I said one gallon and I meant 3 gallons.

400ml is just over 13oz. Probly like 13.5oz. Which is a touch over 1 1/2 cups. I do this to 3 gallons of water. I run a power head in there for 24hrs and then check every thing. Water tests.
I would mix your water to 1.025 that way you get the mixing down to a science. Ammounts that is. As for bringing up the SG in the tank just do your top off's with salt water. This way the increase is gradual and you can keep an eye on it. The inhabitants that you have left will also thank you for the gradual change.

tax lady

Originally Posted by Posiden
http:///forum/post/3126198
SORRY, you are right. I said one gallon and I meant 3 gallons.

400ml is just over 13oz. Probly like 13.5oz. Which is a touch over 1 1/2 cups. I do this to 3 gallons of water. I run a power head in there for 24hrs and then check every thing. Water tests.
I would mix your water to 1.025 that way you get the mixing down to a science. Ammounts that is. As for bringing up the SG in the tank just do your top off's with salt water. This way the increase is gradual and you can keep an eye on it. The inhabitants that you have left will also thank you for the gradual change.
Thanks Posiden. You have helped me tremendously. I bought some new salt and have it mixing now. I have tested it ..it did show a small amount of tint when doing the Nitrate test, but nothing that would amount to any numbers,,,I hope..
Just waiting now till I can get the NItrates down.

posiden

Your welcome.
I am not sure what a small tint means on your test kit. Could you take a guess at what it was reading? A tiny amount wont matter to awfull much. There are a lot of tanks out there that don't regester any nitrates but, there are an equal number that keep them in check in the 5-10 or maybe 15ppm. Zero is the best but not always possible depending on the paticular tank in question.
We need to get you exporting nitrates some how. How is your DIY skills? Are you willing to modify the tank any? Are you willing to add a piece of equipment to the tank? Would you just like to buy a bag of resin and put it in to collect the nitrates? This last on is probly the most expensive route in the long run.

tax lady

The small tint I was referring to is when i tested the salt water mix before I put in tank like you suggested . I just changed 5 gallons and it tested tank , its about 25, maybe 50. Really bad at telling the colors, but it is down some. So that is a start.
As far as modifying my tank, no way,,,I am so deficient in any repair type things. I can't hardly change a light bulb.

What is the last thing you mentioned that would be expensive? How expensive and explain what it is.
My slow season is beginning so I have to be careful what I spend. This is really an addicting habit.
My son treated me to a trip to Calif. to see his 90 gal tank and got me started.

thanks,

tax lady

Posiden, I had bought some Prime last time at lfs. Reason is his worker there told me that he only uses tap water and prime to neutralize it. I have decided not to try tap water cause of possibility of copper pipes. But I still have the prime, have not used it. what do you think. i hesitate on using it cause trying not to use chemicals, but give me your opinion on Prime please.

Also salinity is at 1.025/1.026.

gregzbobo

I read your most recent post, Prime + tapwater = FW tank use. Distilled water or RO - RO/DI water is best. the Prime might neutralize chlorine and cloramine, but does nothing at all to remove phosphates, and most city/well water is loaded with phosphates, not to mention flouride and who knows what else.

posiden

http:///forum/post/3126874
Posiden, I had bought some Prime last time at lfs. Reason is his worker there told me that he only uses tap water and prime to neutralize it. I have decided not to try tap water cause of possibility of copper pipes. But I still have the prime, have not used it. what do you think. i hesitate on using it cause trying not to use chemicals, but give me your opinion on Prime please.

Also salinity is at 1.025/1.026.

If your tank is down to 25-50ppm I would say your doing well at lowering the levels. A good ol water change is a solid use of time. You were at 100 on the 30th.
I myself wouldn't use the prime product to dilute or convert any nutrient issues with a tank. Your tank has been running long enough to deal with the enviroment. We-You need to figure out the source of the high nitrates. For some reason the nutrient levels built up in your tank. Could have been from something dying and you not seeing it to remove it, or another water parameter went screwie and caused things to go downhill. I am not sure. Over feeding is one thing. You gotta look at the little aspects you have going on.
Your feeding, what do you feed and how do you feed?
Your water change water, we are looking at that now and it looks good.
Do you blast off your rocks with a turkey baster, once a week? Man O man you would be suprised on what is on those things.
When you do a water change do you suck on the rocks with the hose while it is draning? I don't mean for you to stick the hose on the rocks and suck on the end of the hose.LOL.
Oh, your salinity is good, nice. Just the fresh water top off's from now on.

tax lady

Originally Posted by Posiden
http:///forum/post/3127307
If your tank is down to 25-50ppm I would say your doing well at lowering the levels. A good ol water change is a solid use of time. You were at 100 on the 30th.
I myself wouldn't use the prime product to dilute or convert any nutrient issues with a tank. Your tank has been running long enough to deal with the enviroment. We-You need to figure out the source of the high nitrates. For some reason the nutrient levels built up in your tank. Could have been from something dying and you not seeing it to remove it, or another water parameter went screwie and caused things to go downhill. I am not sure. Over feeding is one thing. You gotta look at the little aspects you have going on.
The high nitrates are probably from things dying off . But they died from high nitrates. It was so bad that the worms in my lr came out and died.
Your feeding, what do you feed and how do you feed?
Have been feeding frz mysis and brine shrimp along with a day or two of pellets.
Your water change water, we are looking at that now and it looks good.
Do you blast off your rocks with a turkey baster, once a week? Man O man you would be suprised on what is on those things.Yeah, I do. Yucky

When you do a water change do you suck on the rocks with the hose while it is draning? I don't mean for you to stick the hose on the rocks and suck on the end of the hose.LOL.
Yep, do that too.

Oh, your salinity is good, nice. Just the fresh water top off's from now on.
will do tha
t. I am going to go to Gulfariam this weekend and get some of their salt water instead of mixing my own.
will keep you'll posted on the results.

Sure do appreciate all the help I am getting here.

posiden

One of my LFS sells water from the nearby aquarium. I bought it for a small whlie since I don't have a ro unit. And for a buck a gallon which is the same as the distiled I buy it is a good deal. I tested it every batch I got and it varied quite a bit. It still was a lot cheaper for me to put in a little salt to bring the salinity up.
Just test that water before putting it in the tank. I don't see a problem with using it. Others will disagree. If you can, find out what process the water has been through before you got it. ie...do they purifie it, or is it just straight out of the bay, ocean, or tank?

tax lady

Fianlly got to Gulfariam and they tested my water. Seems like I was reading the nitrites wrong. when looking from the top, je seems to thinkit is only 10. So that would be good huh? But then why all the problems. Could it be my salinity ? He tested it at 1.030. After changing the water I just managed to get it down to about 1.028 or 1.029. Can't read it good.
Here are their testings.
1.03 SG
7.7 PH
10.6 KH
3.77 alk meq/l
0 amonia
0 nitrite
0 phos
1500+ppm Mag
500+ ppm CAlcium
0 copper
So just need to work on salinity. It was my mistake on getting it so high. It has always been low,and I added too much salt.
What are your thoughts?