Got the splashing solved in the overflow... but

scotty37

Well I extended my durso standpipe 2 inches (maybe a little too much) so now its an even flow through the overflow notches into the overflow box... no splashing... still have gurgling. Have to get a new elbow for the hole, which is 3/4 inch. Now I also notice that my drains, where they enter the sump, are making much noise. I think theres too much flow for the notches in them for draining. Is this accurate? It almost sounds like theres a pump trying to pump it through... IF so, how do I fix?

renogaw

also, the dursos should probably be about 1-1/4" . did you go to his website to see his explanation as to why (and how this solved his noise problem?)

scotty37

The pipe itself is that size. The hole at the top is 3/4... is that what you mean? No splashing now, just gurgling

scotty37

Is the best way to do this with a valve? I have a ball valve to restrict the flow but have to get an elbow

[hr]
to attach it correctly. Or should I just get a new piece at the top? Also, how much does the pipe length have to do with this? It has about a 6 foot drop to the sump. Could the gurgling be worse because its not getting out of the returns fast enough?

scotty37

Yes thats where I started my adventure on fixing. Didnt really see where he covered any other possible factors

renogaw

sry, just went back there and it's supposed to be 1/8" hole according to the diy portion. i'll find out where he talks about the noice, it may have been on a different forum.

scotty37

Haha I just went and bought the 5/8th fitting lol.. oh well
Maybe I will just cap it and drill a 1/8th hole

topaz330

please keep me updated if you fix the problem... i have the same issue and my lfs that setup the tank told me it was because my return pump was too strong

scotty37

I screwed a threaded plug into both pipes, started with the smallest bit and worked my way up until the whistling stopped.
At first the water level went up and down, then as
i kept increasing it stopped doing that, but was still a few bits from where it needed to be... took a while but it straightened the whole deal out. very quiet now, not whisper, but darn near after all that noise.

moneylaw

Hi scotty37,
I am having the same problem, still getting gurgling noises after installing durso pipe. what was the problem for you and how did u fixed it?
I am using 1 inch standpipe due to my small overflow space, and starting to think that it might be the problem, but wanted to know what your problem was. Thanks.

scotty37

I bought 2 pvc plugs last night to cap the holes at the top of the pipes. Then I started with my smallest drill bit and drilled into the plugs. At first, it was really gasping and you would see the water levels go way up and down... which was a sign i was on the right path. Then I just kept upgrading the bit and putting it back on and waiting to see what happened. Finally got to about a quarter inch bit and the whistling stopped and all very relatively very quiet... very happy with the results.