Gravity meter

oceanjumper

I was wondering, is it okay to leave a gravity meter continuously under water? I have one of those boxes (SeaTest Specific Gravity Meter). Thx

slick

I think it would get clogged up with something? Why do you want to leave it in there all the time anyway?

oceanjumper

B/c I'm a slacker.... lol.
I just saw it in a sump picture that was posted by one of our colleague-hobbyists. It made me wonder. Currently I am using it, cleaning it, using it, cleaning it etc etc.
It would be nice to have a continuous view on the salinity level. That I like.

slick

Hmm see if you can find the person who had it in there all the time and ask them how it works.

broomer5

Think I'd be afraid of build up on the swingarm.
You know how nasty plastic stuff can get when under saltwater for long periods of time.
Coralline or crud or algae/diatoms or sponges or calcium deposits or saltcreep or spirobidae white dots or that unidentifiable tannish crud or detritus or whatever ....
Would be nice though I admit ;)
Could called it the slacker's salinity system SSS !

fulcrum

I keep mine in my sump all the time. I was told by the guy at my LFS that it was fine. They "seem" to be a pretty knowledgeable bunch.

Now I could be wrong, but look at that pic from Mikegronholz again. I think the hydrometer is outside the sump, just leaning up next to it.
Just an observation..........MCF
I will try to find the pic again.

oceanjumper

Yeah~You're right MCF.
I'll will just stick to my current practise of using-cleaning-using-cleaning......
This hobby is sooooo tedious....

S

simm

Its not in there. It is sitting out. Look at the swing arm its at the bottom of the hydrometer.