great news for algae problems

In my tank downstairs I was having alot of problems with brown and green algae, I couldn't add any clean-ups because there is a trigger and a puffer. The tank upstairs had alot of green algae and hair algae. This store recommended Coralife- Marine tank clarifier. This stuff is amazing! Both tanks are clear and the hair algae is going slowly. Great product.

sharkbait

Yeah the clarifier works great, but be careful too much is bad news. I use it sparingly and It keeps the alge down fine. If you use to much with the aid of a protein skimmer you can clean out all the plakton and other microscopic organisms. The clarifier is designed so that tiny particals stick togethor. Making big particals that mechanical filters can suck out. Alge is a natural organism for better or worse. But in a reef tank we might not all ways want to clean it out completely. Many people spend wads of money reef aids and additives to feed their corals. It not really necessary once a good enviroment is created.

kris

I think this product was designed for fish-only set-ups where people are going for a "cleaner" look (for lack of a better word)
I wouldn't reccommend it for a reef as it does not differentiate between the desirable and the undesirable algae.

trigga

I agree with Kris as well. I would stick to more natural methods such as snails aand hermit crabs.

Thanks for all the info but how much is sparingly? I have tons of snails and crabs too maybe I should hold off for awhile and give everything a break.
Originally posted by Sharkbait:
Yeah the clarifier works great, but be careful too much is bad news. I use it sparingly and It keeps the alge down fine. If you use to much with the aid of a protein skimmer you can clean out all the plakton and other microscopic organisms. The clarifier is designed so that tiny particals stick togethor. Making big particals that mechanical filters can suck out. Alge is a natural organism for better or worse. But in a reef tank we might not all ways want to clean it out completely. Many people spend wads of money reef aids and additives to feed their corals. It not really necessary once a good enviroment is created.