Great time to be in public schools in San Antonio

aggiealum

My cousin called me tonight about a SCARE (this one does apply Darth) at her daughter's high school today. Seems some 17 year old kid decided to bring two handguns and some knives to school in his back pack, and hid an AK-47 in a bathroom before going to class. His parents woke up and saw he was "missing" from the house (they didn't know he went to school?), then checked and saw the guns were missing (why check to see if they were gone in the first place). They run over to the school and tell Administrators what happened, so they call this kid into the office for questioning. He strolls into the office with his backpack, they open it up and find the guns and knives. He then tells them about the AK in the bathroom. He then claims he was going to "make an announcement" later that day,and if his "demands" weren't made, some major violence would occur. Crisis averted, but you can just imagine what the potential outcome could've been.

This incident occurred right after last week, when she said some anonymous email went to one of the major school district offices that stated that "some elementary school" around San Antonio would see major carnage on Thursday. The police chief announces the threat, and all of a sudden there's major panic around the entire city wanting to know what the police and FBI planned to do. She said that it was obviously some hoax, but everyone got paranoid and kept their kids at home on Thursday. Nothing happened of course, but the two largest school districts in town reported less that 54% attendance in all their schools for that day, resulting in potential penalties of over $1.5 million from State funds because of the unexcused attendance numbers.

So you have one mental case that apparently the parents knew had a short fuse or something going on, otherwise why would they panic about their kid "missing" on a school day, and why would they check for missing guns if they didn't already know he was capable of taking them and using them for a potential replay of Columbine?

Then you have some other nutjob, most likely another kid that didn't want to go to school that day (it was a makeup day for the state mandated STAAR test), that ends up creating major panic across the entire city, costing taxpayers millions of dollars by simply sending a threatening email.

I guess this is the becoming the norm these days. "Responsible gun owners" leaving guns readily available for a family member to walk out the door with, and any idiot using the power of social media to reek havoc on an entire city at the press of a button.

darthtang aw

Charge the parents with what ever you can think of. Anyone who leaves guns in open areas to kids and public is not responsible. Two peoe in this world have the combo to my safe. Me and my wife.

aggiealum

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///t/397599/great-time-to-be-in-public-schools-in-san-antonio#post_3544208
Yep, pretty normal.
Bionic, lived in San Antonio. Any relation?
Glad you think that type of violence is considered normal here in Texas. Pretty much tells me the kind of neighborhood you live in there in that trash city by the bay.

Couldn't tell you. Anyone I know in that town doesn't own a fish tank that I'm aware of. Can't come up with a plausible argument for this violence, so you resort to the childish Darth conspiracy of me being this Bionic person. Typical response I expect from someone like you. Then again, that seems to be the norm from "you people".

aggiealum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW http:///t/397599/great-time-to-be-in-public-schools-in-san-antonio#post_3544207
Charge the parents with what ever you can think of. Anyone who leaves guns in open areas to kids and public is not responsible. Two peoe in this world have the combo to my safe. Me and my wife.
Under Texas law, if a child under 17 years of age gains access to a readily dischargeable firearm (i.e., loaded with ammunition, whether or not a round is in the chamber), a person is criminally liable if he or she, “with criminal negligence:”
  • Failed to secure the firearm (i.e., to take steps a reasonable person would take to prevent the access to a readily dischargeable firearm by a child, including but not limited to placing a firearm in a locked container or temporarily rendering the firearm inoperable by a trigger lock or other means); or
Left the firearm in a place to which the person knew or should have known the child would gain access.

Unfortunately in this situation, the kid was 17, so I imagine the parents won't be charged.

2quills

Glad you think that type of violence is considered normal here in Texas.  Pretty much tells me the kind of neighborhood you live in there in that trash city by the bay.
Couldn't tell you.  Anyone I know in that town doesn't own a fish tank that I'm aware of.  Can't come up with a plausible argument for this violence, so you resort to the childish Darth conspiracy of me being this Bionic person.  Typical response I expect from someone like you.  Then again, that seems to be the norm from "you people".
Typical over reaction to a simple question. I've come to expect nothing less.
There is no plausible argument for stories like this. Just more senselessness. But you seem to like those types of stories. Still not going to get you anywhere on your anti gun tirade. Anyone who'd had been educated outside of this trash city can put two and two together to see that your grasping at straws here. But please, carry on. :)

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Why wasn't the threatening email made before associated with this kid?

No joke! You know your kid is potentially bonkers and you still leave weapons hanging around the house... Geez.

aggiealum

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///t/397599/great-time-to-be-in-public-schools-in-san-antonio#post_3544241
Typical over reaction to a simple question. I've come to expect nothing less.
There is no plausible argument for stories like this. Just more senselessness. But you seem to like those types of stories. Still not going to get you anywhere on your anti gun tirade. Anyone who'd had been educated outside of this trash city can put two and two together to see that your grasping at straws here. But please, carry on. :)
No, the question shouldn't have been asked in the first place. Just your typical form of immature intimidation because you have no viable argument for this type of senseless violence.

Grasping at straws? I find it pretty sad that you feel this is "just the norm" when the entire situation could've been averted if the parents exhibited common sense by locking up these guns they seemed to think they needed to have lying around their house for anyone to take. Sandy Hook was essentially the result of that nutjob's mother allowing him access to her guns. So what do you propose we do to try averting any future incidents like this when the next "responsible gun owner" decides his 2nd Amendment rights allow him to store a military-grade arsenal in his house that can be accessed by some mental case family member or a friend of the family that decides Obama's policies are derived from the Anti Christ and anyone that believes in them need to be eliminated? Whose the next kid that gets picked on by the class bully, or rejected by the girl he asked to the prom, and his solution is to grab Dad's AR-15 and resolve the issue with gun fire? You don't want to blame the gun, but if the gun wasn't readily available for someone to take and use as they see fit, then that rationale is moot point.

aggiealum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth http:///t/397599/great-time-to-be-in-public-schools-in-san-antonio#post_3544245
Why wasn't the threatening email made before associated with this kid?

No joke! You know your kid is potentially bonkers and you still leave weapons hanging around the house... Geez.
Apparently the local police in San Antonio see these two incidents as being completely separate from one another. The email was said to be targeting some elementary school around San Antonio on a specific date (last Thursday). This kid simply took the guns to his high school with some contrived plan to use them if his "demands weren't met." After reading more about the story, the local San Antonio media has been praising this kid's parents for their quick response by alerting the school administration about the potential carnage this kid had planned. What confuses me is why the parents were so concerned about him missing from the house that morning, and why they immediately looked to see if their guns were gone. Sounds to me there was some underlying issues going on in that family, and they knew their kid was capable of attempting something like this but didn't do anything to avert the situation like lock all their guns up in case he tried to take them.

2quills

No, the question shouldn't have been asked in the first place.  Just your typical form of immature intimidation because you have no viable argument for this type of senseless violence.
Grasping at straws?  I find it pretty sad that you feel this is "just the norm" when the entire situation could've been averted if the parents exhibited common sense by locking up these guns they seemed to think they needed to have lying around their house for anyone to take.  Sandy Hook was essentially the result of that nutjob's mother allowing him access to her guns.  So what do you propose we do to try averting any future incidents like this when the next "responsible gun owner" decides his 2nd Amendment rights allow him to store a military-grade arsenal in his house that can be accessed by some mental case family member or a friend of the family that decides Obama's policies are derived from the Anti Christ and anyone that believes in them need to be eliminated?  Whose the next kid that gets picked on by the class bully, or rejected by the girl he asked to the prom, and his solution is to grab Dad's AR-15 and resolve the issue with gun fire?  You don't want to blame the gun, but if the gun wasn't readily available for someone to take and use as they see fit, then that rationale is moot point.
Why would I defend a sensless act of violence? Ofcorse I have no logical defense for such a situation. It's just another thread harping on irresponsible gun owners so that you can argue against second amendment rights. My observation was correct. Nothing new going on here. So the next time a kid misspelles a word in class do we start blaming the pencil?
That bullying thing is a joke. You know how many schools and school officials are winding up in hot water over taking that stuff too far?
So what's your solution here, Aggie?

aggiealum

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///t/397599/great-time-to-be-in-public-schools-in-san-antonio#post_3544266
Why would I defend a sensless act of violence? Ofcorse I have no logical defense for such a situation. It's just another thread harping on irresponsible gun owners so that you can argue against second amendment rights. My observation was correct. Nothing new going on here. So the next time a kid misspelles a word in class do we start blaming the pencil?
That bullying thing is a joke. You know how many schools and school officials are winding up in hot water over taking that stuff too far?
So what's your solution here, Aggie?

"Nothing new going on here" - translation - It is what it is, and it's going to continue to happen because you'll have to pry my gun from my cold dead hands otherwise. You value your right to have a gun over the life of another human being. I see where your priorities lie. Just remember that if for some unfortunate reason a loved one or close friend gets killed at the hand of some wacko with a gun. "Oh well, sucks to be them. Guess they should've been packin' and it MAY not have happened."

Solution? Tighter gun restrictions. Have every gun registered so that we know who exactly has ownership of them. When an incident like this occurs, whoever the registered owner of the weapon will face the same criminal charges as the shooter. Your fault, their fault, nobody's fault, you'll be prosecuted to the full extent of the law for allowing your guns to be accessed without prior knowledge. Full mental evaluation before even be allowed to purchase a gun. One month "cooling off" period from the time you purchase the gun and are allowed to pick it up. Justification for ownership of assault-type weapons. Shall I go on?

darthtang aw

"Nothing new going on here" - translation - It is what it is, and it's going to continue to happen because you'll have to pry my gun from my cold dead hands otherwise.  You value your right to have a gun over the life of another human being.  I see where your priorities lie.  Just remember that if for some unfortunate reason a loved one or close friend gets killed at the hand of some wacko with a gun.  "Oh well, sucks to be them.  Guess they should've been packin' and it MAY not have happened."
Solution?  Tighter gun restrictions.  Have every gun registered so that we know who exactly has ownership of them.  When an incident like this occurs, whoever the registered owner of the weapon will face the same criminal charges as the shooter.  Your fault, their fault, nobody's fault, you'll be prosecuted to the full extent of the law for allowing your guns to be accessed without prior knowledge.  Full mental evaluation before even be allowed to purchase a gun.  One month "cooling off" period from the time you purchase the gun and are allowed to pick it up.  Justification for ownership of assault-type weapons.  Shall I go on?
1. Get enough votes to legally ammend the constitution and I would support those changes.
2. How many and what kind of guns do you own if any?
3. Would you support the same laws applied to abortion? One month "cool off period", mental evaluation before access to abortion, etc....etc..?
4. If my son drinks and drives using my vehicle, should I be charged with vehicular manslaughter as well?
5. what was D.C. murder rate under their handgun and assault weapons ban?

reefraff

Until the laws are changed in regard to reporting mental health issues there's no point in discussion background checks as a solution.

aggiealum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW http:///t/397599/great-time-to-be-in-public-schools-in-san-antonio#post_3544281
1. Get enough votes to legally ammend the constitution and I would support those changes.
2. How many and what kind of guns do you own if any?
3. Would you support the same laws applied to abortion? One month "cool off period", mental evaluation before access to abortion, etc....etc..?
4. If my son drinks and drives using my vehicle, should I be charged with vehicular manslaughter as well?
5. what was D.C. murder rate under their handgun and assault weapons ban?
1. Yea like that would ever happen. The NRA has such a huge stranglehold on Congress, we'd have another Civil War before they would allow amending the 2nd.

2. 12 ga shotgun for skeet shooting and dove hunting. 9mm Taurus for home protection (locked in a biometric safe).

3. You're trying to equate a woman's choice to choose what she can or can't do medically to her body to some mental case that wants to run into a gun store, spend 15 minutes buying a gun, then take that gun out and blow someone away?

4. If your son is under the legal drinking age, and you are still responsible for him financially, and you're the owner of the vehicle? Absolutely.

5. Define "weapons ban". That myth falls into the same logic as Chicago. People in those areas simply have to go over into the next state, purchase guns at some gun show (where you can buy a gun without showing your ID by purchasing the gun from an individual), then drive back home with them. Are they violating the law? Of course they are. But if someone is going to commit a criminal act, do you honestly think they care they are in possession of an illegal firearm?

2quills

lol "cooling off period"? That's a good one. And in how many of these cases did these nut jobs simply go out, purchase a gun and then immediately go out and rob or go postal on someone?
My wife has a spotless record and is a responsible person. Yet when she tried to purchase me a new glock for Christmas she got flagged for further background investigation. 30 days and got zero response. But everybody else at the counter buying guns that day got them. I'll agree that the way we purchase guns could use some tweaking.

aggiealum

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///t/397599/great-time-to-be-in-public-schools-in-san-antonio#post_3544319
lol "cooling off period"? That's a good one. And in how many of these cases did these nut jobs simply go out, purchase a gun and then immediately go out and rob or go postal on someone?
My wife has a spotless record and is a responsible person. Yet when she tried to purchase me a new glock for Christmas she got flagged for further background investigation. 30 days and got zero response. But everybody else at the counter buying guns that day got them. I'll agree that the way we purchase guns could use some tweaking.
Do you want me to post the multitude of reports of gun violence where someone went to a gun shop, bought a gun, then used that gun to kill a cheating spouse, a co-worker from the job they just got fired from, or a drive-by after having an altercation with another individual? Could it avert future gun violence simply by making someone wait 15 - 30 days to pick up their gun? I can't think of a logical reason why someone would have to have a firearm to use on the same day they purchased it. Yea, you may want to take it out to the gun range to play with it, but what other purpose would there be? If you find a good deal on a gun, there's no issue paying for it then coming back to pick it up. Of course the gun shows would pitch a fit about this law. Pretty hard for dealers to sell a gun, then expect to hang onto it for 30 days and have to deal with getting it to the buyer the next time the show come around.

darthtang aw

I see there sre several things to respond to. I will have to do so from home when I get more time. There are a few things I need to double check before i say anything.