Greed

ja

Its very discouraging to hear the collection of marine fish with cyanide. People that kill the bueatiful marine environment for a quick buck should have the same consequences as a person who commits other crimes. Is there any laws to protect our oceans? In addition, collection of fish that cannot live in home aquaria is equally upsetting. I recently read that species of cleaner wrasses cannot live in home aquaria. A day later I saw a whole tank full in the local pet shop. Half of them where wasting away or dead. I hope as fellow marine life advocates everyone can do their small part to stop these two things from happining.

clayton

Nice one!! As far as I know cyanide fishing is banned across all the worlds tropical reefs - Phillipines and Australia certainly is. It is punishable by imprisonment or fine - but this does not always stop it. You are right many many fish that are available in the industry should not be kept in aquaria. Hastle the shop owners about it when you see definate cases. The UK has banned the import of hard corals from a lot of the world. I think the ban should be world-wide until we can demonstrate captive breeding of many of the species or at least sustainable management. I also think that the majority of butterfly fish should also be banned as the vast majority of species do not survive in aquariums for more than 9-12 months. This is the same for many other species.
Until we have recovered the state of the worlds reefs and developed captive breeding more, then we need to be far more carefull than we are in this hobby.