green algae overrun

C

cotti

I have a consistent growth of brown first, now green algae in my tank, mainly covering the live sand and alittle on the glass, nothing on the live rock. I left this weekend and come home to find alot of green algae growth on the sand, the protein skimmer is working and both pumps are working, the fish don't look stressed but it's just ugly....I have 1 hermit crab and 1 turbo snail along with 2 fish in the tank.....the tank is 5 weeks old and in the process of installing the skimmer i lost about 2.5 gallons of water and was replaced with distilled bottled water.....does anyone have any ideas how to decrease the amount of algae growing? :help:

iluvreefs

I would suggest you get more crabs and snails and maybe a serpant starfish. What kind of water flow do you have in the main tank? I have noticed in my own tank, that when there is not enough water flow, algae will creep up at a faster rate. I just re-position my powerheads and clean and that helps some. I was told to have a crab for every gallon of water also. Don't know if that's true or not, but you can make your own decision on that. Also, I wouldn't use distilled water since they use copper in purifing the water when it's made. Try some RO/DI water. I get mine at the grocery store. Culligan has a machine to dispense the water and it's 39 cents a gallon for me.

C

cotti

the water flow isn't bad, got a hob, skimmer and powerhead on the big pump, so i've got a constent current in the water going.... i'm gonna try and find a Turbo-Twist UV Sterilizers for a reasonable price and try that...if anyone has the 9w and they have upgraded to a bigger one and want to get rid of the 9w let me know, maybe we can work something out!!!! thanks for the info!!