Green algee in sand, good or just ugly

jester

I've got 80 lbs of southdown in my tank. I've had it in there about 3 months now.
My problem is green algee is all over and in it. what can I do to get rid of it? It looks realy ugly.
Do star's take care of it? My hermits do do a thing with it.

wrassecal

Cerith or nasarrius snails will work away on sand. My turbos also work on it but not as effectively. IMO

ed r

Have you had the Southdown for three months, or the algae problem? 80 lbs for a DSB would mean a pretty small tank (20-30g), or do you not have a DSB? What is your nitrate level? High nitrate is fertilizer for algae. If the DSB is doing its job, it should be near zero. Any chance you are overfeeding? That is a common source of algae blooms. During phases of new tanks algae blooms are normal, but they are very temporary and do not cover everything. If yours lasts or is out of control, I would bet on water conditions, espectially the nitrates or phosphates. Good luck.

memnoch

I went through a phase like this when my tank was about 2-3mos old. I added quite a bit of LR (~70lbs) and the problem disappeared pretty quickly. Although i didn't really consider it a problem, in fact i kind of liked it :p