Green Bubble Algea ?

mcsd22

I have some small green bubbles which I assume to be bubble algea. Rumor has it pepermint shrimp will clean it up? Anyone no if this is so. I got a new polyp and it must of came on the rock it was on.

reefer75

I'm not sure about the shrimp, but a emerald crab will take care of it. You can also pull the rock out and scrub it off.

mcsd22

Thanks Reefer, Only problem with scrubbing it off is I have a samll coral on it and some frags that I didn't want to disturb. I am not real sure what the coral is maybe you can help. Best way I can describe it is blue outer edge, all tiny bubble tips, smaller than a pin head. The inner is all orange, also all tiny bubble tips and a light brown mouth area. About 2 inches in diameter. Very brillant colors too.

reefer75

Maybe some type of Ricordea. I am not great with corals. Maybe some one will chime in and give a better answer. Without a pic, it is hard to tell what you have. Good luck with algae. Some people have also been able to pick them off, but be very careful not to pop them. try rolling it off with your finger. Gently!!!!

rick58

It's hit an miss with emerald crabs eating the bubble algae. I've had several that wouldn't touch and a few that would.

double

I have 5 emerald crabs in my 125 and some seem to eat the bubble algae and some don't. :notsure: I did have a fairly large outbreak previously and I removed the infected rock scrubed off the bubble algae with a toothbrush and then dipped it in freshwater.
Small outbreaks have since been contained by the emerald crabs.

swlover

Take a small airline tube and suck it off and into a bucket, that stuff comes off easy and you don't want it spreading in your system. What ever you do don't rub it off into your tank, you'll have it every where in a matter of days. That should take care of it, thats what i did and it worked. Also you might want to clean your filters and flow tubes, it probably has come off into that as well. I use a little bleach water to clean my filters and tubes..that way I know I don't miss any, just make sure you rinse them really well. This works well with fw and sw filters. It will stop the spread of algae and wont hurt your fish if you rinse really well. But if you don't feel comfortable using bleach, atleast scrub them with a brush and use really hot water. that stuff will be in the smallest of spots and if you miss some it will just get back into your system. Hope this helps you and good luck

1bigboy69

If you use bleach in your water to clean things, which I do, just make sure you make some seperate fresh water with tap water detoxifier in it to get rid of the bleach.