Green bubble coral question

milomlo

I just bought a bubble coral online and it isn't on a rock or anything. Do I just set the hard end into the sand or should I place it on a rock? Where is the best place for this? Any suggestions

dogstar

Best to place in the sand in direct light and med. flow and let it acclimate to your lights. Later you can move it into rocks but dont let rocks block or rub the flesh.

jlm

I've had mine on the sand and on the rock. It did well both places just make sure where ever you put it that it cant get torn. Their tissue is pretty delicate. Right now mine is on the sand

milomlo

Thanks all! I do have it in the sand, seems to be doing fine. One question though, do I need to feed it directly or does it pick things up in the water? Do I have to feed it at night? I read that somewhere and I just wanted to check.

jlm

I do hand feed mine. And it seems to want to eat more towards light off. I think it just got used to me feeding at that time.

milomlo

is it still bubbly when you feed it? What do you feed yours? Do you add any additives to your tank like calcium or anything?

jlm

it has it's little feelers out when I feed but it still has small bubbles. I feed it all kinds of foods like, krill, shrimp, silversides, and mysis shrimp. I do use b-ionic supplement in my water for cal and alk but you need to make sure you test for those before you start doseing and check it every week at least to keep it level. I dose every day. I tested every day until I got it level now like I said I just test once a week.

milomlo

Well here are my water tests. Tell me what you think
ph 8.0
trites, trates, ammonia 0
Calcium 640
Phosphates .50ppm
dKH 9.6 or 3.43 meq/L
I did a 15% water change yesterday.

dogstar

Cal. is high and so are Phosphates. Are you useing RO/DI for top offs and Water Changes ? If not then could be why the Pho. are high and are you doseing cal. or useing a mix with high cal. ?

milomlo

Originally Posted by Dogstar
Cal. is high and so are Phosphates. Are you useing RO/DI for top offs and Water Changes ? If not then could be why the Pho. are high and are you doseing cal. or useing a mix with high cal. ?

Yes I am using RO/DI water. No I do not dose anything. I just switched my salt from Corallife to Oceanic as Corallife salt was much higher in calcium.
What can I do to lower the Phosphates and calcium??

stanlalee

keep doing water changes routinely and phospates will come down. The 1rst time I ever tested for phospates using distilled water at the time(pre reef) my phosphates were 5ppm. all I did was start using RO water and relatively large (30%) biweekly water changes ( I was already doing water changes that size and still do bi weekly, not going to recommended it but that what works for me). Almost immediately went down to 0.5ppm and stayed there for a few months before falling to undetectable levels.
You dont have to do anything for the calcium level. your bubble and any other LPS/SPS you have will use it up. dont dose and make sure the salt your using isn't over fortified until it comes down.