Green Chromis Addition

kas2247

I have had green chromis for several months now. I started with 3 and loved the mini-school that they formed. They were so neat to watch. One of them died and I was wondering if I can add a new one without the other 2 getting too territorial? Or would it be better to add 2 or 3 more and hope that the 2 groups join?

wfd1008

i read somewhere on here that chromis will kill each other off till there's just one. also i know a couple of people that have had a small school for awhile and nothing has happened. so i guess -why did the one die? i'll try to find the posts that were talking about them for you so you can read it .

air_putih

^
i had 3..one died after couple days in my tank...after that...the other one just stay on the top corner of my tank..dont even go anywhere in the tank,dont even eat..and this other one swimming happily,and i thought it was because the other one [who stay on the corner] stressed...but i moved it to another tank [smaller] and it swims around..
well,well....i think the other chromis terrorize this poor guy huh ??

m0nk

It is true that schools smaller than a certain number will kill each other off until there is only 1. I tried 3 once and I only have 1 left now as well. People have said 6 or 7 should school ok, but I can't say whether this is true. Personally, I'll just stick with the 1 and eventually try a small group of Anthias.

nina&noah

I've never heard this. I can say that I started with 5 chromis that were put in my tank to cycle it about 7-8 months ago. (I didn't do it, my previous LFS did). Anyways, one died due to poor water quality I'm sure and the other was eaten by a mantis shrimp. I now have the three that were left. They swim together and seem to get along just fine. I've never seen them be territorial with any fish. In fact, we were thinking of getting more because they seem to be so easy to keep. I'm curious what others will say about this.

kas2247

I'm not sure why the one died... it never looked quite as healthy as the other two, never swam around as much or ate as much, right from the start. But it lived for probably a month then was just dead one morning.
Thanks for the replies. The other 2 seem to be doing juuuuust fine. Once in a while one will chase the other across the tank, but most of the time they swim together and don't pay any attention to each other or the clowns in the tank.
Looks like I'll probably just stick with my 2 and see how they work out. Thanks!

vt4lifecuf

thats so weird... i bought 3 and one die plus missing cant find anywhere in the tank. Now i only have two chromis

i first bought 3. all three lived for the first couple months, untill i smashed one with some live rock, now i have 2. i have had them for over a year now. they get along great with each other and everyonther fish.

mdk16

I bought 3 last week, two of them died, added two more two more died/killed. I have one left that also stays up in the corner of the tank, and does not move much.
I thought there was something wrong with the tank/parameters or bad fish. I'm somewhat relieved that others have had the same problem,

whitebird

we had one for about 2 years and it would hang with our luner wrassy and a few weeks a go we sold the wrassy and the Chromis acted lonly so we got 4 more to go with it and they are a lot smaller and over a week now there doing just fine and all hang together with no problems

guyerson

Yeah, to my experience it's kind of hit or miss with Green Chromis... I first bought three and within a week I found one of my hermits chomping one up (I think this was the result of my LFS slipping the pick on guy in the bag when I wasn't looking because there was only 4 in the tank and the salesman even said that they were picking on one of them). So then I went out and bought three more to make a school of five about 3 weeks ago, and now I'm back down to three... The remaining three seem to be doing fine and tend to school occasionally, but that sometimes gets broken up by my clownfish taking a run at one of them..

dragonzim

I've had a mini school of 3 in my 75 for about a year and a half now. They have never shown any aggression at all towards each other.

m0nk

Originally Posted by Whitebird
http:///forum/post/2503410
we had one for about 2 years and it would hang with our luner wrassy and a few weeks a go we sold the wrassy and the Chromis acted lonly so we got 4 more to go with it and they are a lot smaller and over a week now there doing just fine and all hang together with no problems
A week really isn't the best timeframe for observation in this hobby. As an example, I had a coral banded shrimp for 6 months in a 55 gallon tank with other inhabitants and everything was peaceful, then all of a sudden this same "peaceful" shrimp went on a terrorism spree. It's attached fish, shrimp, snails, and crabs. It's been about 3 months like this and I haven't had anywhere to put him (eventually it might go in the sump of my 180g), but monday night I saw it had ripped a feather duster worm out of it's tube and was eating it.