Green Chromis Red Line

elementzx

I've done some research on this and google doesnt seem to be turning anything up for me. A couple days ago i got 5 green chromis, one of which arrived with two vertical red lines on his side, he didnt swim with the others and just sat behind one of my rocks, also it looked like he was breathing very heavy. The next day he died. Then this morning i noticed that another one of my green chromis is displaying what looks to be the early stages of the same thing, he isnt swimming as much and there is a red stripe on his side. Im hoping that if i figure out what it is and how to fix it early enough i can save him. It looks to be a raised lesion. Nothing in my tank seems to be picking on them other than my molly which im planning on getting rid of. Here is a pic (best i could get) its hard to see but i hope i can get some answers, if i see him come closer to the glass ill try to snap a better picture.

elementzx

i dont think it is, septicemia looks to be more blotchy and mine is a defined stripe. but just in case it is how do i fix it? is it contagious to my other fish?

ibanez

I would definitely quarantine them, all chromis, until you figure it out, and then I would probably do a water change after you qt them. Could it be velvet? It is most likely contagious whatever it is.

lpd154

I recently bought 3 green chromis from SWF.com and one arrived with red blotches on one side and died the next day. Over the next three days the remaining two chromis developed the same blotches and died. To make it worse the pygmy angel and sixline wrasse I bought at the same time as the chromis died also. So what ever it is seems to be contagious and will kill rapidly.

chrisb430

how long have you had your tank set up for?? what are your water pram?? seems like its a Bacterial Infection and i would maybe treat him with melafix.