Green Chromis

R

ramon6249

I was told by local fishstore that these are part of the damsel family. I are hardey like their cousins...but less agrrasive and can be kept in the tank as it grows...Is this information correct?
Just moved and will be buying 4 of these to get the tank up and going.
Thanx
ramon

T

tizzo

Seems like the actual fish info is correct, but the way to start a cycle is, well, is correct but unnecessarily cruel. Just throw in a piece of cocktail shrimp, and that will start your cycle just the same.

H

hewetton

Since you tank is pretty big, I would suggest you get 6 or more. I think a big school of chromis is one of the most fascinating sight. Plus this helps reduce interspecifc aggression althought they are not as aggressive as real damsels.

tru conch

like what hewton said, you will actually need at least 6 or more. if you have less than 6 they tend to kill each other off (this happened to my in my old 75).
they are very passive fish towards other fish. i have a school of 9, all they do is swim around looking for food. they are plankivores, which means they spend all day swimming in the water column looking for food, instead of hiding in the rocks like other damsels.
as far as being hardy, all 9 of mine survived not one, but 2 hurricanes for a total of 9 days without power. so i think that says alot.
good luck with the new tank.

R

ramon6249

Well I got 6 of them...real good deal on them.
Seems one has already been put in his place...in the bottom corner behind the rocks =(. I saw it comeing when I was feeding them the other day and they all chased at him. Is there any way I can save this little guy or is he a goner in the fish world?
Please any help
Thanx Ramon

smarls

unfortunatly you have to let them figure this out on their own...unless you are going to patrol the tank 24/7. That one guy may be a casualty.
I have heard that when one is sick, they can get "thrown out" of the school...so that may be what is happening.
I have also read that they actually svhool far better in odd numbers, so this might work out for the best. (I think this is BangGuys's theory, so you may want to ask him.)
HTH
Stewart

fishy411

i dont know fi someone already said this but chromis's can only be kept in odd numbers or they will kill off on to make it an odd number. That is an actual truth in most tanks