Green Flower Pot

clown_nut

Ok so I was out of town visiting family for the holidays and to my surprise I came home to a beautiful green flower pot in my tank. Wifey bought it as a gift while I was away. Anyways Ive done a little bit of searching on it and all Ive found is that it appears to be the "Goniopora sp.". From what ive gatherd it is rather diffacult to care for. Or atleast there is alot of debate on how to care for them. So what Im wanting to know is if there is anyone that has experiance with them that can share any lessons learned?

shrimpi

honestly, thank your wife for a awesome gift (I think gonis are some of the coolest coral) and then return it to the LFS/trade it for something else. They are very difficult to keep and usually die within 3-6 mos. The green ones meeting thier demise easier than the red species.
It sucks.. I know, but it will more than likely die, and then you wont have the sentimental value of the coral that 'she bought' and 'you killed' lol... recipe for disaster!
Good Luck, whatever you chose to do
Jess

jackri

I have a green one... does just fine.
I know I have nutrient rich water as well though -- everything in the tank thrives and they get fed well (still 0 readings on trates and phates).
As far as tank mates depends on the size of your tank. To me tangs are mandatory for any tank large enough to hold them :D

clown_nut

Thanks for the tips guys. However I read that the red ones were generaly the first to die. Infact my wife even purchased a red one that subsequently never opened. Anyways I think im goin to take my chances with it and see just how long I can get it to survive.

mr.clownfish

Originally Posted by Shrimpi
http:///forum/post/2907403
honestly, thank your wife for a awesome gift (I think gonis are some of the coolest coral) and then return it to the LFS/trade it for something else. They are very difficult to keep and usually die within 3-6 mos. The green ones meeting thier demise easier than the red species.
It sucks.. I know, but it will more than likely die, and then you wont have the sentimental value of the coral that 'she bought' and 'you killed' lol... recipe for disaster!
Good Luck, whatever you chose to do
Jess

ive had mine for a year now. its a rare red with purple mouth flower pot i have medium - strong flow on it, its under PC lighting and i do feed it often with phytoplex, zooplex, and microvert. it looks pretty cool. i love it.

mr.clownfish

Originally Posted by clown_nut
http:///forum/post/2908301
Thanks for the tips guys. However I read that the red ones were generaly the first to die. Infact my wife even purchased a red one that subsequently never opened. Anyways I think im goin to take my chances with it and see just how long I can get it to survive.
i have a red one.

txfishman

I had one... it was my first coral. It was in a 5 gallon hex with compact flourecents for lights. It was about 5" by 5". It did great! After about a year i put it in my 35 gallon have hex and it lived for another 2 and a half years until Ike wipped it out.

nano reefer

they arent difficult to care for, its just that they dont do well in aquariums. for instance: Moorish Idols cant live in aquariums for more than a year, they just die. you would probably have to get an aquacultered goniopora to ensure its sucess.

snakeblitz33

I suggest you visit SantaMonica's threads on turf algae scrubbers and feeding NPS corals. He has some great info on it and will gladly be able to help you out with any questions.