green hair algae eaters

drgriff

OK, I have the beginnings of a green hair algae outbreak. I have algae growing on only 2 of my LR but I don't want it to spread any further. I have cleaned it off the rock a couple of times with a modified toothbrush but I need some "professionals". I have done a water change about 1 1/2 weeks ago and I am gearing up for another one in a few days. I don't have a phosphate kit but plan to order one. I also want to order some critters to help with my "situation". I have some turbos and troccus snails but I was planning on ordering some narcissus snails, some emerald crabs and some red legged hermits. I was told by a friend that this was the best "green hair crew". Is it? Is there anything better to help control the green hair nightmare?

clarkiiboi

No expert----but I heard some mexican turbos will, and the trochus does eat algea, but not sure if hair algea. I had a small spot for months (never spread...go figure) and I finally broke down and got a lawnmower blenny, and it was gone in a week or so. Getting a phos. kit would help, just to see if that is a factor. Most problems (like me) begin with tap water, just adding to the problem. What kind of water do you use? HTH

attml

Some of these are hit or miss but, my yellow tang ate the little bit that I had and so did my Pygmy Cherub Angel. Also known to eat hair algae are emerald crabs, lawnmower blennies and lettuce nudibranches.

wolffam

My astra snails are mowing down my hair algae bloom. Lettuce nudi is only getting a small amount at a time. My sally is having a feast nightly on the stuff. Also heard that the lawnmower bleenie works well, but after the algae is gone you'll need to feed it with algae sheets. HTH