Green hair algae on fake coral, keep it?

pete159

my 46g tank is almost 2 years old. Some months back i battled both hair and red carpet algae. It finally went away but then started growing only a fake coral and nowhere else. Since i read that it feeds of of nitrates on phosphates I decided to let it grow, now it looks like a green hair algae plant and you can't even see the fake coral. It looks kinda nice, like a fluffy plant and I'm hoping it is helping with water quality, is that what it is doing or should i clean it off.

S

shrimpy brains

Yes, it is absorbing nitrates/phosphates. The problem is, that it will not stay isolated to that one spot. It will continue to spread until it covers your whole tank.
My suggestion would be to find the source of the nitrates/phosphates. (water source, overfeeding, etc.) Get rid of the source. Take the fake coral out and scrub or bleach it.(if you bleach, make sure to dechlorinate before returning to tank) Good luck!

pete159

ok but the thing is, it has been growing on that plant for 3 months and not anywhere else at all, i just sometimes pick it a bit to shorten it.

S

shrimpy brains

Well, that is just my opinion. If you like it, keep it!
But keep a close eye on it!!

meowzer

Originally Posted by pete159
http:///forum/post/3239168
ok but the thing is, it has been growing on that plant for 3 months and not anywhere else at all, i just sometimes pick it a bit to shorten it.
I have a fake ornament in the 225 that is mostly under a rock...it grew some fuzzy hair algae, and I liked it too....until it grew all over the rest of my tank and it took me months to get rid of it

IMO based on My experience....get rid of the HA as soon as you can