green hair algae

I really need some help! I am getting more and more green hair algae on my live rock I've got alot of blue and red legged crabs, a cucumber some star fish, one emerald crab and alot of turbo snails. Should I just keep adding more or is there an alternative? I do have too many fish in the process of getting another corner tank and putting some of the fish in there. My levels are ok nitates 10. Someone said mexican turbos are good. I watch my tank and all the snails and crabs are never where they are supposed to be. One other question, I heard the red or blue legged crabs eat snails so I do have some emply shells, some of these crabs are getting hugh do I buy empty shells somewhere and put them in for them or will they use what is there? More info I do have a protein skimmer and a good filter. Other water levels are amm- 0 nitrites almost 0 ph great 8.4 I do know my calcium is sooo high 600 I haven't checked my phosphates but I know they are going to be high too. This is 100 gallone tank with 200 pounds of live rock.
[This message has been edited by obsessedwithfish (edited 03-08-2000).]

dave

have had same problem for 2 months finally got some Ecythromycin to try to clear it up... it has got to the point that i would rather start my whole tank up over, than to have to continue with this problem!! the medication seems like it is working so far it has been 4 days and nothing has died and the algae is clearing up soooooo much! (I'm not sure the spelling on the medication is right. someone out there will know if it is correct!) If there is any change on the conditions I will let you know! Also, the crabs will probably fight for the bigger shells when they out grow their own, definately have enough that they will find large enough empties so they can move into the larger shells. Hope this helps!
[This message has been edited by Dave (edited 03-09-2000).]

Thanks everyone they have a product out called phosphate remover (a filter) for red and green hair algae. Have tried that with no success and I am using r/o now only the second 20% change though. Maybe I should get somemore snails.
Originally posted by Reef Ranger:
Hair algae is usually caused by excess phosphates in the system. the phosphate is usually introdudeced in two ways, one: the local water supply might be high in phosphates, or two: your salt mix could be high in phosphates(check the label, it usually says. Instant Ocean is the best). There are numerous phosphate removers that are kind of like carbon...i mean you use them the same way. The best and easiest way is to add RO water only! and the crabs will kill a snail if they are getting to big for their shell they are in, but they won't just kill them to kill them. Yellow tangs will nibble on this algae too.
-ranger-

halide

Have paitence it took about a month doing five percent water changes on a fifty gallon tank once a week before I seen a change and I just wanted to say I've been there and phosphate pads and filters and any other quick fix are just that there not long term and will come back to haunt you.

krazzydart

How long you leaving your light on????? 6-9 hrs a day is long enough.... the aster snails do a great job on it too...the hermits do need shells to move into.... get some!!!! from your local store or surf the net I found some but can not remember the site.

indy1

The bi-aquaculture I mentioned before is said to last 1 year. But, I won,t know until I get my order. It is also completely organic NO CHEMICALS. Keep ya posted