Green Hair Algae

disaster

My tank is approx 3 months old. Last 3 weeks seemed to be developing alot of green hair algae on th LR. No cleaning crew yet. I have been cutting back on the lighting- any other ideas?
Thanks

disaster

nitrates are o, did not use RO water when I originally filled the tank. Have since did 1 water change approx 20 % with RO water and all top offs have been with RO water. I only have 1 fish and feedings are very conservative.

quads4_lif

Your phosphates may be high. I would continue to do water changes with ro water and when your changing water scrape off and syphon out what hair alge you can get. Continue your subdued feedings and lighting. Also check your calicum and see if you can get some coraline alge to start growing. If you can you might thing about adding a macro alge like cheato in either your tank or a sump.

quads4_lif

Yes could be. I just set up my new 100reef and in 2 months I have coaraline all over the back of the glass and covering the new Hcrabs and snails I added less than 2 weeks ago. My 55 gal reef that I had up and running for almost a yr and a half was covered in coraline. I would check your calcium and phosphates

quads4_lif

Here is something I read out of a book
How to Adjust Phosphate
The best way to limit phosphates in the aquarium is to restrict the amount of phosphates that get into the system to begin with. Since tap water can be a major source of phosphate, I warn aquarist not to use it.
RODI water are far better choices. Many hobbysists purify their tap water with both RO and DI prior to using it in their aquariums. This insures a minimum of impurities left in the water.
OTHER WAYS TO REDUCE PHOSPHATES
Use additives declared "phosphate free" on the label.
avoid over feeding
Use phosphate sponges or phosphate resins in the filtration system. Two common forms are white aluminum-based beads represented by products such as phosguard, phosSorb and the like, and a reddish granular powder that is a ferric hydroxide compound sold under names such as rowaphos. Fiber pads such as Poly-Filter and HSH Phosphate Reducer will also extract phosphates from saltwater.
If your phosphate levels are dangerously high, perform a 20% water change each day using purified water and phosphate free salt mix until the levels are reduced

whackamole

i dont want to steal the thread but i was wondering if there is a way to check what is in the tap water that you use because i am having the same algea troubl but ALOT worse. and i never had it befor but now that i read the thread i remembered the my city recently put in new water pipes which do Very much b the problem. i dont want to invest in an ro system unless absolutly neccesary. so i want to make sure it is the tap water. thank you and sorry for butting in

quads4_lif

Just get you a phosphate test and just test your tap water and see if that is your problem. But I would only use RO/DI water any way. I have over 600 gal of RO/DI water in tank in my house and I have very minimal alge problems.
and glad I could help