Green hair algaepatches

N

new@this

well, i pretty much got rid of the brown stuff on the back of my tank with turbo and astro snails but now i have three drop size patches of green hair algae on my sand bed.....
i was just wondering what is the best way to get rid of it or what type of critters or fish get rid of it the best.....thanks again for everyone's help.....
also, i saw a small whitish rock looking thing on the back glass this morning.....it was hanging on and i have no idea what it might be....just wondering how fast those snails procreate....i was told that they really don't but i just want to make sure

entice59

you can try emeralds crabs for that or you can get a sallylight foot(i recommend this) but beware they MIGHT be aggressive and towards other tankmates
try scarlet reef hermits they MIGHT get rid of hair but my hermits tend not to clean the hair
its always a hit or miss when it comes to hermits

wizard

well see, i already have emerald crabs and they stick to one side of the tank (been there since i've had them) so i need to find something else to get to get rid of it.....like i said though, i already have snails and crabs but what is the BEST way to get rid of it.....thanks for the help

wizard

btw....."wizard" is still me...."new@this".....i couldn't use that name on this computer for some reason so i got another one.....

robn70

You could try a Lawnmower blanny. The are good at cleaning up the algae and are interesting to watch.

wizard

the thing is that i already have a "scooter" blenny and i thought that you can't put two different kinds of blennys together.....but i did see a lawnmower blenny in the same tank as the scooter blenny that i bought at my lfs.....so just let me know if it's okay to put both together and they won't fight.....thanks

birdy

Hair algae is bad and spreads fast, I am dealing with it in my own tank, I got it do to some bad RO/DI water. You need to be sure you do not have phosphates and silicates in your water, that you are not overfeeding your tank. You may want to reduce your photoperiod and pull as much as you can out by hand.