Green Hairy Algae

paulcoates

I seem to be starting to have a green hairy algae problem on one of my live rocks.
Also, my Capnella is not opening up. I have had it for about 2-3 weeks now and it has never opened up...
Help!

smarls

Paul,
OK simmer down...algae we can handle.
You have algae...that is somehow being fed by nutrients (phosphates). We eliminate the phosphates, we eliminate your algae.
How long has the tnak been up?
What are your water paremeters (mostly your phosphate readings)
What water are you using?
What is the flow in the tank? (powerheads, exlcude filtration)
What lighting do you have, and how often do you run it?
how often do you feed your tank? and what do you feed it?
Stewart

paulcoates

MY tank has been up for about 3 months now. Is tarted out using tap water but I did a 20% water change about 3 weeks backs, and I have been topping off with Distilled Water as of late
I have an Emperor 400 and an AquaClear 450GPH Powerhead right now
My lighting:
Two 65 watt 10,000K and two 65 watt True Actinic 03 Blue straight pin base compact fluorescent lamps
Four 3/4 watt Lunar Blue-Moon-Glow LED lamps
Day - On at 8:30am off at 7pm
Actinic - On at 7:30am off at 8:30pm
Lunar - On at 8pm off at 8am
I ffed my tank twice daily. I use an automatic feeder and I have it set at the minimum amt of food dispersed setting.
In my tank I have
2 False Percula
2 YT Damsels
2 Sand Sifting Starfish
30+ Astrea Snails
1 Lawnmower Blenny
2 Blue Leg Hermits
3 Other Hermits

paulcoates

I took a water sample to the fish store last week (because I have had 2 anemones die). He tested everything and said the only problem was that my PH was a little low. My ammonia, nitrite and nitrate have always been 0
By the way, I feed my fish flake

smarls

Paul,
Did he say your phoapshate was zero? Mind you, even if he did, the algae could be using up all the available phosphate to thirve, thus giving you a zero reading, although in reality your tank is phosphate rich.
I think the water is your problem.
I would do large water changes on a regular basis for a few weeks. Maybe about 25-40% poer week for maybe 3-4 weeks to reset the system.
Also I would cut back on your lighting periods (depending on what corals you have in the tank)...that is only allowing the algae to thrive. If you have no corals, then cut it back to about 4-5 hours a day. Combined with the water changes you should see some progress in a few weeks.
Finally, depending on how much you feed, cut back on it by about half for a few weeks.
HTH
Stewart

dreeves

Hair algae is a nuisance algae...it is an opportunistic algae...
its primary food is excessive nutrients...nitrates, phosphates...sometimes...as mentioned above, they can consume the excessive nutrients prior to the nutrients reflecting a level on any given test kit.
Poor lighting is also a cause..once the lighting ages beyond its usefull life...the color temp starts moving towards the red end of the spectrum...
One thing we can never do is completely rid our tanks of nuisance algae...we can only control it..some better then others.
The water source for mixing salt and top-offs is a potential source as well as excessive feeding.
You have to find the nutrient source before you are able to treat it.
Personally, I do not believe in ever relying on someone else's tests of your water...that is something you should be doing on your own.

smarls

Big water changes and cut back on all your lighting, daylight and actinic.
Basically, anything that feeds ther algae needs to be eliminated, and for a litle while, that includes light.
Try it for a few weeks, cut way back on your feeding, then see how you are doing.
HTH Stewart

nitram

Sorry, I have a 125 gal tank that was setup going on 2.5 months now and the hair algae was totally horrible to the point that I was ready to give it up and just get rid of the tank altogether then I bought 50 Astrea/Turbo snails and in 2 weeks it was almost totally gone I have almost 150 lbs of rock and it was clean my glass, power heads, filters all. I was so happy It mad me just want to start all over again. I think you would find the same results with these guys. They are reef safe and they seem to eat all the time sliding over everything. The only thing about these guys is that when they fall on there backs they don’t seem to be able to upright those selves. Also they I don’t really see them on the sand at all so that is were the nasssarius snails come into play I have about 30 of these little guys they love cleaning the sand bed as well as the glass and rocks. I have 5 green emerald crabs 25 blue legs and 25 scarlet hermits. And I have no ALGAE PROBLEM AT ALL. Good luck and I hope you have the same results.

57chev

Paul, I to have fought the green hair devil for several years in my reef. I agree with Dreeves, its like herpies, ya never really get rid of it completly, whether you see a lot of it or not, its there, you can only manage it. The turbo snails definatly help, but watch it! If a couple of them die in your tank and it goes unnoticed guess what you just feed the green devil "well". Take your time acclimating them(turbos), use the drip method. The phosphate sponges work OK, and they do remove the phosphates if there's any phosphate to be removed. The algae will store the phosphates within itself for future use and your water will show zero on the tests. Ive been so mad in the past I two almost gave up. The one thing I did do that worked with one piece of live rock that was covered in hair algae was I through it the back yard. Try not to get to that point. Here's my recomendations.
1) mix up a five gallon bucket of salt water and take the nastiest of the rocks out of your tank one by one. With a tooth brush(no toothpaste) scrub the algae off and rinse rock, then return rock to tank.
2) When doing your water changes find a stiff chunk of clear plastic pipe and hook it, or jam it into the end of your siphon hose. a piece of "up tube" from an under gravel freshwater system works well. Now you've gotta vacuum you can control! And manuvere around your reef for suckin up not only algae, but reef debris which is a big help! And you'll have the satisfaction of pouring the algae infested salt water on your side walk and watching it freeze.
3) Then ofcourse do all the previously mentioned. Cut the lights back, and the feedings back.
4) Use RO water.
5) Then repeat after me! "Thou shalt not have thy reef without a yellow tang"
Good luck

dreeves

Never attempt to control any nuisance algae with anything other then water chemistry...once you have that part figured...then use the critters to assist you in controlling it...best method is prevention.