Green Shag in my tank

rhomer

About a month ago I picked up a green carpet anemone, and is absolutley beautiful. Opens well and eats well. Within a day it settled in the middle of the tank under a nice overhang of rocks. I paid $100 for it a the lfs. Last week a local decides he doesn't want his anymore and gives it away to a good home.
Well I jumped at the opportunity. This one is easily 2 - 3 times the size as my first one. I placed it fairly far away from the first one and it has settled in nicely.
I'm pretty sure that this isn't an issue with 2 carpet anemones, but I could be wrong.
Comments are welcome.
Rob

dogstar

Hopefully the tank is large enough for them. IMO if the two carpets are the same species then it may be OK but never know. If it works out then they may at some time release lots of gametes to try and spawn and that could get nasty. Just some thoughts....

T

thomas712

Problem with looking things up like that is you almost always get the generic response. Anemones can reproduce by blah blah blah......They don't exactly tell you which one is capable of which event. But if we are talking about a Stichodactyla haddoni then as far as I know you will need eggs from one and sperm from another.

rhomer

Originally Posted by Thomas712
Problem with looking things up like that is you almost always get the generic response. Anemones can reproduce by blah blah blah......They don't exactly tell you which one is capable of which event. But if we are talking about a Stichodactyla haddoni then as far as I know you will need eggs from one and sperm from another.
That appears to be the species of both anemones. Both have been together since Sat and the new one appears to have settled in to the inital spot I set it in. I'm less interested in reproduction as I'm in both being happy. I appreciate the responses.
Rob

dogstar

I only mentioned the reprodution attempt to warn that that can really foul up a tank.
You may know that Carpets have a reputation of being happy and then out of no where going on a rampage thru a tank. But then again this is a risk with any anemone.
In the hobby we sometimes take chances to try to have what we want to keep and its up to you if its worth the gamble. Good luck with them both.