green star polyp and Xenias

flip_x

Hey guys i just recently got a GSP and they arent coming out anymore... the little holes they come out of are turning brown..
when i bought them they were in the car for a few hours but it was kind of cold.. do u think it could of killed them??
Also with i got the xenias that day... and it looks like they have blisters on the side.. what is it? looked like they were gonna die last week. but they are not making the fist any more and looks better than last week.. they use to be pretty big now its only like 1.5 in including stalk ..

flower

Originally Posted by Flip_x
http:///forum/post/3040890
Hey guys i just recently got a GSP and they arent coming out anymore... the little holes they come out of are turning brown..
when i bought them they were in the car for a few hours but it was kind of cold.. do u think it could of killed them??
Also with i got the xenias that day... and it looks like they have blisters on the side.. what is it? looked like they were gonna die last week. but they are not making the fist any more and looks better than last week.. they use to be pretty big now its only like 1.5 in including stalk ..

I can't help you much on the star polyps..I could never get mine to live.

The xenia however likes the cooler waters so that would not have affected it. The "blisters" are bumps where the xenia are reaching for a another rock to climb on...or... beginning to sprout another branch. Either way it is a good thing. Nothing to be concerned with.

The only reason for shrinking is they need more light, so that may be why they are reaching for another rock, trying to climb higher.

flip_x

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3040913

I can't help you much on the star polyps..I could never get mine to live.

The xenia however likes the cooler waters so that would not have affected it. The "blisters" are bumps where the xenia are reaching for a another rock to climb on...or... beginning to sprout another branch. Either way it is a good thing. Nothing to be concerned with.

The only reason for shrinking is they need more light, so that may be why they are reaching for another rock, trying to climb higher.
Oh really? well i have a250 watt 10k ushio metal halide the tank is 25" deep and the light is about 8" away from the top.. and the xenia is about 7" from the bottom.. is that not enough light?
thanks

flower

Originally Posted by Flip_x
http:///forum/post/3040932
Oh really? well i have a250 watt 10k ushio metal halide the tank is 25" deep and the light is about 8" away from the top.. and the xenia is about 7" from the bottom.. is that not enough light?
thanks
LOL Yes, and they are reaching to get higher on the rocks and will spread as they go. That's what mine are doing. They are also much more pink than with the PC lights I had at first.
However before I got the MH lights my xenia totally shrunk to nothing...my bulbs were bad in the PC, I thought they had died, there was nothing left but a snot spot.
When I changed the bulbs in the PC the snot spot became tiny Xenia and, then came the MH lights. Forgive me for mixing two thoughts.
I also now remember that my Xenia did do a stumpy thing when I first got the MH lights. They had enough light maybe and didn't streach out as much???

flip_x

Oh wow haha i guess ill try to move it to the middle of the tank more maybe it will like that..
At first when i got them i thought they were gonna die.. but recently they started to open up the hands and not making the fist.. haha..
thanks ill let ya now how they like it!!
=)

nycbob

just leave it where it is. xenia can thrive from low to high lightings. as for ur gsp, they can be closed for days. try using a turkey baston to blow off any detritus that may hv landed on it.

flip_x

for my gsp i know there is a mini star fish under its mat... you think that could be harming them from the underside?