Green Stylo-Polyp Extension

cedarreef

I've had an ORA Green Stylophora for a good 8 months now. At first, it had really long polyp extension and amazing colour. Now, although it has grown significantly, the polyp extension isn't as long or beautiful as it once was... My params are ideal:
0 Amm
0 Trites
0 Trates
0 Phates
450 Calc
1.025 SG
72-75 temp
2 150W 20k MHs
Plus all other SPS (montis, pearlberry, birds of paradise, spongodes, digis, and others) are thriving
Should I start feeding reef chili regularly again? I really love this coral and although it's living and growing amazingly, I want the old polyp extension and beautiful neon blue/green colour. Thanks guys!

spanko

All things being equal and your other SPS doing as well as you say, it seems like some change has happened to make it mad. Additional powerhead, change in position of the powerhead, another coral place nearby or growing nearby that may be doing some chemical warfare? Water change schedule change? Different salt mix? How old are the bulbs in your light, may be seeing some spectrum change? Over the course of 8 months it may have just acclimated to the position and now is showing you it isn't correct for it. Really hard to say without getting into some real detective work here.
They are a beautiful coral when the polyps are extended though!
here are a couple of mine.

flower

Spanko, I just love your pictures...

CedarReef has the tank at 72 to 75 isn't that a little cool for a reef? I would think 76-78 would be the coldest to keep a reef.

Could that have something to do with extension on coral, maybe just that type? I know he said every other coral is fine.

cedarreef

There's nothing too close to it that could possibly be hurting it. The closest thing is a monti cap which I don't think would hurt it, and it's a couple inches away. My lighting schedule has been the same although I did change the bulbs in August... They're the same kelvin bulbs though. Powerhead adjustment as been around the same. If it just decided that it wasn't the proper placement now, it would suck because it's already completely encrusted on the rock! I'll boost the temp and see how that goes. Thanks guys.

nissan577

that happened to me with a birds nest i had. when i got it i placed it near the green slimer i have. bad idea. the slimer was like attacking it idk how but i saw the polyps over it. so i moved it and now the birds nest is bleaching completely
it kills me. but everything is perfect!!!! all my monti, acros, birds, and milli are amazing.

cedarreef

I just checked and the pH is a bit low... about 7.9-8.0 range... I have some pH buffer, but I don't really know how to dose it. I know I'd have to put it in topoff. It says to use 1 tsp for every 10 gallons daily, but would that raise it too much? The brand is SeaBuffer... do you guys have any recommendations??? Also, does it matter that I tested the pH when the lights were still off since I've heard that pH fluctuates a bit from the night/day cycle.

spanko

Originally Posted by CedarReef
http:///forum/post/3194280
I just checked and the pH is a bit low... about 7.9-8.0 range... I have some pH buffer, but I don't really know how to dose it. I know I'd have to put it in topoff. It says to use 1 tsp for every 10 gallons daily, but would that raise it too much? The brand is SeaBuffer... do you guys have any recommendations??? Also, does it matter that I tested the pH when the lights were still off since I've heard that pH fluctuates a bit from the night/day cycle.
Your Ph is fine where it is. Buffers for Ph are only a temporay fix. Please don't chase after the perfect number with buffers.

nycbob

personally if its just one coral, i wouldnt be too concern. i'd hate to mess with my water chemistry for the sake of one coral, when everything else is thriving and growing.

cedarreef

can do... i checked the pH again since the lights have been on for about 4 hours now. it looks like it moved up a bit to about 8.0-8.1 as long as it's in a good range it's fine i guess. thanks guys. i'll try to get him to come out more by feeding reef chili once or twice a week. he's growing fine, just missing the polyp extension. thanks for all the advice and merry christmas!

cedarreef

Ok, I started to raise the temp and nothing really, but now my heater freaked out and decided to heat it to about 82 so I turned it all the way down hoping it can keep it at about 76-80ish. Tomorrow I'm going to buy another heater because I've never really liked this one. It doesn't even have a temperature setting, just a high and low... it sucks...badly. What would be good for a 46gal bow with about a 10-15gal sump? Thanks again.

cedarreef

The heaters are replaced with 2 100W stealths... they're working great, keeping the tank to about 78-80. The stylo looks like it's a bit happier with more polyps extended and showing nicer colour again. I believe it's on the road to recovery! =]

IMO you should test pH a few times throughout the day and average the numbers to get an accurate result.
How old are your bulbs?

cedarreef

I measured the pH 3 times that day and got an average reading of about 8.0 My bulbs are only about 4 months old.