Green tinted crushed coral

mshan217

I have a 125 gallon tank with a few corals. I ran my tank as a glass bottom for years. Under a recommendation of a lfs I put crushed coral on both ends of the tank in front of the live rock only with some regular aquarium substrate in the middle. My crushed coral has a green tint to it and can't tell about the brown aquarium stuff. My nitrates are high. I vac the bottom twice a month. A also run a phosphate reactor and another one with carbon in it.
I have had the tank for 14yrs and the substrate on the bottom for about a year. I any suggestions.

lmforbis

The green is algae and the brown is probably diatoms. Crushed coral is not a good choice for saltwater. It holds too much crud in it causing problems like algae. The only recommended substrate is aragonite sand.

mshan217

The green is algae and the brown is probably diatoms. Crushed coral is not a good choice for saltwater. It holds too much crud in it causing problems like algae. The only recommended substrate is aragonite sand.
How much sand would I need for my tank. What is the possibility of making my fish sick when I remove the old cruddy stuff

lmforbis

Take the crushed coral out slowly a little bit every week when you do water changes. Once it is out you can add sand. How much is up to you. My tank is a 120, I think I put 2 bags of sand in it. Only enough to cover the bottom. That is how I liked it but it is a personal choice.
Keep an eye on your ammonia with a seachem ammonia alert badge. I’d have some prime on hand if it goes up.