Green Tipped Pocillapora Woes

mr_x

i purchased a frag of green tipped pocilapora a few years ago and it's been a lucrative piece of coral, to say the least. it grows at an alarming rate for sps.
it looks nice too, with it's long polyps waving in the current.
the trouble with it is it's extremely invasive
. be warned!
it has sent spores all over my tank, and now i have colonies on almost every piece of rock, on powerheads, even on the glass, and in the overflows. here are a few pics-

mr_x

actually, they are extremely hard to get off of the glass. kind of like coralline. it breaks up into a million pieces. i usually leave the flat part and break off the branching piece.

-tara33-

oh i get cha now for his post so he is gunna do it and make money from it, well thats ok what else do ya do with it.

spanko

No No just mean that he identified the coral as being lucrative in his post.
Lucrative: : producing wealth : profitable

mr_x

but the trouble is, it cannot be controlled. i mean...am i going to be selling a thermometer with a pocillapora colony attached in a month or two?

m0nk

Hmm, I have 3 different pocillipora pieces. Not sure that I'd mind them spreading, I really like them... though not on the glass.

How long did you have yours before you started getting "babies" everywhere?

mr_x

lol..yeap. "attention reefkeepers, step right up! experience the all new thermomo-frag!"

mr_x

well, it was probably about 6 months. my pink colony doesn't do this, nor does the yellow colony. it's only the green tipped colony.

m0nk

Cool, I've had mine for about 6 months too. My green hasn't dropped anything yet... I also have a pink and a tricolor and I wouldn't actually mind if they spawned...heh.

stdreb27

You should tell us more about your tank so we can too aspire to have a tank where SPS spawns! I wish my green guy would do that.

mr_x

the buds on the glass have been growing for about 7 months i guess.
there's nothing too exciting about my tank. i don't use reactors or additives, just large, weekly waterchanges with oceanic salt.
halides with t-5 actinic supplement, and a decent amount of flow. nothing out of the norm.